- A minimum of a master's degree in Elementary or Secondary Education, Special Education,
Early Childhood, or Child Development.
- A minimum of a Type B teaching certificate with at least one year of classroom teaching
experience in a properly certified area of special education.
- Certification in at least two areas of special education, one of which is learning
disabilities, in accordance with the requirements of the State Board of Elementary
and Secondary Education, or a generic certification with specialization in one area
at the master's level.
- Six semester hours in diagnosis and remediation of reading problems, three semester
hours of which may be undergraduate course work. (Secondary majors must have three
semester hours in foundations of reading in addition to this requirement).
This means that individuals with an elementary education background need to take:
Individuals already certified in an area of secondary education must take:
- A minimum of the following graduate level courses: