A minimum overall GPA of 3.3 is required to be evaluated by the MEC and a science GPA of 3.5 or higher is recommended. In past years the average GPA of students accepted into LSU Medical School was 3.8.
Applying for Medical or Pre-professional Schools
- Make a folder to keep all your papers in order and in good condition.
- Type your information
- Make copies of all application materials before mailing them in case it is needed
- Notify those who are writing references for you at least one month ahead of time
- Most Medical Schools want a recommendation letter from an institutional committee
- If your overall GPA is 3.3 or higher and you want to be evaluated by Southeastern's Medical School Evaluation Committee (MEC) click on the big link to the "Application Materials" below.
- Be aware of deadlines especially the online "Notice of Intent"
For any questions or concerns, feel free to ask the Delta Omega Alpha officers or the Pre-Medical Advisor
|1st week in May||Submit online Notice of Intent
The 2017 deadline is Friday, May 5.
|The week after finals week in May (Deadline: Friday, May 19)||Submit your complete application packet to the pre-medical advisor (Room 303 Biology Building) by 12:00 NOON|
|Late May||Application packets are distributed to MEC committee members for review|
|Early June||Individual one-on-one interviews|
|Mid June||Interview with the full MEC committee|
|Late July||Committee letters are written and ready for review by applicants|
|August 1st||Letters are submitted to Medical Schools|
Resources for Pre-professional Students
Scholarships For Pre-Professional Students
William F. Sherman Memorial Scholarship (for seniors with financial need)
Nancy Kathryn O'Neil Memorial Scholarship (for students from the Northshore)
Brandon Buras Memorial Scholarship (for Southeastern seniors applying to medical school)
Major Kenneth E. Dyson Award (for Southeastern seniors or graduates accepted into medical or dental school)
Other Useful Links