Lion's Code Summer Coding Camp
July 15 - July 26, 2019
9:00 am - 5:00 pm | Monday - Friday
The Lion's Code camp is perfect day camp for secondary students of any level of coding experience. Located on the beautiful campus of Southeastern Louisiana University in Hammond, LA in the new Computer Science and Technology Building, The Lion's Code camp introduces students to computer science through an easy-to-learn program that allows them to create their own stories and games in 3D computer animation.
Using drag and drop programming (which means no syntax errors), students will convert ideas to code quickly and see it in action!
Students will be introduced to the visual programming language, Alice, and use it to code 3D animations or games with ease. Alice comes with a powerful graphics library that minimizes coding effort.
- Create virtual 3D worlds
- Make live action stories
- Design your own computer games
- Develop impressive projects for school
- All while learning computing and basic programming
Students will receive a certificate of completion.
What is Alice?
Alice is an innovative block-based programming environment that makes it easy to create animations, build interactive narratives, or program simple games in 3D. Unlike many of the puzzle-based coding applications Alice motivates learning through creative exploration. Alice is designed to teach logical and computational thinking skills, fundamental principles of programming and to be a first exposure to object-oriented programming. The Alice Project provides supplemental tools and materials for teaching using Alice across a spectrum of ages and subject matter with proven benefits in engaging and retaining diverse and underserved groups in computer science education.
Top 10 reasons to learn to code:
Coding Improves Academic Performance
- Math: Coding helps kids visualize abstract concepts, lets them apply math to real-world situations, and makes math fun and creative!
- Writing: Kids who code understand the value of concision and planning, which results in better writing skills. Many kids even use Tynker as a medium for storytelling!
- Creativity: Kids learn through experimentation and strengthen their brains when they code, allowing them to embrace their creativity.
- Confidence: Parents enthusiastically report that they’ve noticed their kids’ confidence building as they learn to problem-solve through coding!
Coding Builds Soft Skills
- Focus and Organization: As they write more complicated code, kids naturally develop better focus and organization.
- Resilience: With coding comes debugging – and there’s no better way to build perseverance and resilience than working through challenges!
- Communication: Coding teaches logical communication, strengthening both verbal and written skills. Think about it: learning code means learning a new language!
Coding Paves a Path to the Future
- Empowerment: Kids are empowered to make a difference when they code – we’ve seen Tynkerers use the platform to spread messages of tolerance and kindness!
- Life Skills: Coding is a basic literacy in the digital age, and it’s important for kids to understand – and be able to innovate with – the technology around them.
- Career Preparation: There’s a high demand for workers in the tech industry; mastering coding at a young age allows kids to excel in any field they choose!