News and Events
EVENT: Ponchatoula Community STEM Cafe was held at the Ponchatoula Junior High School on Saturday Oct. 27 from 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM. Mr. Laurence Mauerman, Dr. Emre Bahadir, and Dr. Mohammad Saadeh from IET participated in the Middle School Career Exploration section and the High School College and Career Conversation.
- EVENT: ABC’s Build Your Future Day: IET Department was present at this recruiting event in Gonzales, LA on Oct 17. Mr. Ed Rode, Dr. Ephraim Massawe, Dr. Mohamed Zeidan, Dr. Lu Yuan, and Mrs. Samantha Taylor met with students and explianed the different educational opportunities that our department can provide.
- EVENT: ASSE (American Society of Safety Engineers) Student Section sponsored a Process Hazard Analysis Facilitator Certification course that was taught by Mr. Glen Young, CSP, Dec.12-14 in Student Union room 2202.
- EVENT: OSH&E Fall 2016 Graduation Ceremony, sponsored by SafetyPro Resources, Performance Contractors, Vallen (formerly Hagemeyer), Deep South Crane & Rigging, Champion Technology Services, GBRASSE, and PEC Safety, was held on Friday, Dec.2 from 5:00 PM to 8:00 PM at the Historic Michabelle Inn & Restaurant. At the ceremony, Mr. David West, former member of the Board of Directors of BCSP (Board of Certified Safety Professionals) 2008-2013, presented the GSP (Graduate Safety Practitioner) designations to 7 of the 9 OSH&E Fall 2016 graduate candidates.
- EVENT:ACM (Association of Computing Machinery) had the final meeting of 2016 on Wednesday, Nov.30 at 6:30 PM in Fayard 125. A coding competition was organized. Officer elections was held afterwards.
- Dr. Wesley Deneke of CS, recently published a book chapter, Towards a Situation-Aware Architecture for the Wisdom Web of Things, Wisdom Web of Things (W2T), Springer, pp. 73-106, 2016.
- Dr. Ho-Hoon Lee of ET, and Dr. Cris Koutsougeras of CS and ET, learned that their paper, A Leader-Following Formation Control of a Group of Mixed-Type Mobile Robots, has been accepted for the ASME 2016 International Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition in Phoenix, Arizona, November 11-17, 2016. Dr. Lee also served as the Session Chair for Area: Design and Control of Robots, Mechanisms and Structures I at the conference.
- EVENT: ACM (Association of Computing Machinery) organized a network security competition on Wednesday, Nov.16 at 6:30 PM in Fayard 125. The competing students attempted to complete a variety of network security tasks in the shortest time. The first place winner received a Security+ Exam Voucher, courtesy of Mr. Ray DeJean. Second place winner received a Raspberry Pi 3, or $40 cash. Third place received $25 cash.
- EVENT: ASSE (American Society of Safety Engineers) Student Section had its November meeting on Wednesday, Nov.16 at 5:00 PM in Fayard 218. A panel of OSH&E graduates including Branden Bennett (CF Industries), Jerry Riddle, MS, CSP (MOTIVA Enterprises), Brittany Ard Breaux (Athlon Solutions), and George Reeves (Gainey’s Concrete Products), were present to answer any questions students may have had. Aymen Burham, one of the OSH&E students, gave a presentation about how great the OSH&E profession is and how we need to inform the high schoolers more about a career in safety.
- Mr. Edward Rode' of ET and IT, received funding for his Student Technology Fee Small Project Proposal, Purchase of a IQ PC 912 Power Cutter for IT, ET, and CTEC. Congratulations!
- EVENT: The Industrial Technology program celebrated 50 successful years on Friday, Nov.4, 2016 in the Student Union Ballroom. Here is the presentation of the IT program in all the years. More event photos will be posted online later.
- EVENT: ACM (Association of Computing Machinery) had a meeting on Wednesday, Nov.2 at 6:30 PM in Fayard 122. The guest speaker was Ray DeJean. He talked about network security.
- Richard Barnard, OSH&E Senior, was selected to receive the BCSP $5,000 Scholarship to OSH&E. Emily Carithers, OSH&E Senior, was selected to receive a Southeastern Alumni Association Scholarship. Congratulations!
- EVENT: The 2016 CSIT Department Advisory Committee Annual Meeting is scheduled on Friday Oct.28 from 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM in the Student Union Ballroom. Here are the agenda and parking pass.
- EVENT: Dr. John Burris (second from left), CSIT Undergraduate Coordinator, made an invited appearance for Faculty Appreciation Night at the Southeastern Volleyball game on Oct.20.
- EVENT: AWS (American Welding Society) Southeastern Student Chapter had its October meeting at Performance Contractors, Inc. and the students took a tour of the facility. Performance Contractors presented a $2,000 check to AWS for helping cover the cost of the students attending the upcoming AWS/Fabtech National Conference in Las Vegas in November. Many thanks to Performance Contractors!
- EVENT: WIT (Women in Technology) Southeastern Chapter had its October meeting on Wednesday Oct.19 at 6:30 PM in Fayard 122. The guest speaker was Grace Chenevert, a Computer Science Spring 2016 graduate and former WIT Southeastern Chapter President. Food and beverages were served.
- EVENT: ASSE (American Society of Safety Engineers) Student Section had its October meeting on Wednesday Oct.19 at 5:00 PM in Fayard 218. Mr. Mike Varnado of Now Distribution demonstrated the use of common SHE-related equipment/instrumentation at the meeting. Food and beverages were served.
- EVENT: Dr. Mohammad Saadeh led ET 386 students to tour Intralox Hammond and Meco on Oct.7 and Oct.14, respectively.
- The following CSIT students have been selected as recipients of the CSIT 2016-2017
- SGA Endowed Scholarship in Science and Technology -- Bryce Schell, ET Senior
- Dr. William Curran Memorial Scholarship in Computer Science -- Shreya Thapa, CS Junior
- Francis C. St. Blanc Memorial Scholarship in Industrial Technology -- Andrew Collins, IT Senior
- Theodore G. "Teddy" Betz, Jr. Memorial Scholarship in Industrial Technology -- Braie Peterson, IT Junior
- Edward Blanchard Memorial Endowed Scholarship in Industrial Technology -- Tyler Bourgeois, IT Junior
- John Searles Endowed Scholarship in Industrial Technology -- Austin Magee, IT Senior
- Taylor Jeansonne Endowed Scholarship in Industrial Technology -- Ryan Miller, IT Senior
- EVENT: ACM (Association of Computing Machinery) had a meeting on Thursday Oct.6 at 6:30 PM in Fayard 122. The speaker was Mr. Sam North, a developer at Sparkhound. The topics included current state of the job market, trending technologies and current projects he is working on. Food and beverage were served.
- EVENT: OSH&E faculty (Dr. Ephraim Massawe and Dr. Lu Yuan) and students (Rashida Taylor and Erin McAlister) participated in the Louisiana Governor's Safety and Health Conference Oct.3-4 at Crowne Plaza in Baton Rouge.
- EVENT: CSIT faculty (Dr. John Burris and Dr. Lu Yuan) and students (Isabella Bendana and Daniela Raygadas Dominguez) particiated in the 2016 Girl Scouts Louisiana East's Believe in Girls event on Saturday Sep.24 on campus.
- EVENT: WIT (Women in Technology) Southeastern Chapter had their first meeting of 2016-2017 on Wednesday Sep.21 at 6:30 PM in Fayard 122. They talked about the overall goals of the club as well as the Girl Scouts Louisiana East's Believe in Girls event that would be held on Saturday Sep.24 on campus. Food and beverages were served.
- EVENT: AADE (American Association of Drilling Engineers) Student Section had their first meeting of 2016-2017 on Tuesday Oct.20 at 5:30 pm in Fayard 238. Mr. Edmund Jarveaux talked about the oil industry crisis. Elections of officers were held at the meeting. Pizza and beverages were served.
- EVENT: The first ACM (Association of Computing Machinery) meeting of 2016-2017 was held on Wednesday Sep.14 at 6:30 pm in Fayard 125. Pizza and soft drinks were served at the meeting. The topic was a general overview of the ACM and SLUGO.
- EVENT: The first ASSE (American Society of Safety Engineers) Student Section meeting of 2016-2017 was held on Tuesday Sep.13 at 5:00 PM in Fayard 218. Mr. Brandon Smith, President of the ASSE Greater Baton Rouge Chapter, and Mr. Jake Valenti, CSP of Westlake were the guest speakers for the meeting. Mr. Smith shared the benefits of getting involved with ASSE/GBRASSE. Mr. Valenti talked about Process Safety Management. Food was served.
- Dr. Lu Yuan received a GBRIA 2016 Craft Workforce Development Champion award at the GBRIA 2016 Craft Workforce Development Awards Banquet on Sep.8 at Renaissance Baton Rouge.
- Dr. Mohammad Zeidan, ET, learned that his paper, Physical Salt Attack on Concrete Incorporating Nano-silica, has been accepted for publication in Journal of Sustainable Cement-Based Materials.
- Dr. Mohammad Zeidan, ET, has been selected to participate in the 2016 AISC (American Institute of Steel Construction) Educator Workshop in Chicago in July 2016. ASIC covers all fees and travel expenses for the workshop. Congratulations!
- Dr. Lu Yuan will organize the Academic Forum at the ASSE Safety 2016 PDC in Atlanta Jun.26-29.
- Dr. Mohammad Zeidan, ET, learned that his paper, Effect of Colloidal Nano-Silica on Alkali-Silica Mitigation, has been accepted for publication in Journal of Sustainable Cement-Based Materials.
- EVENT: Tau Alpha Pi Chapter at Southeastern (Louisiana PI) held the first induction ceremony on Thursday May 12 in Fayard 101.
- EVENT: CSIT faculty participated in the 2016 Louisiana STEMExpo on Friday May 6 in the Baton Rouge River Center.
- Dr. Lu Yuan was approved as New Commission Member of the 2016-2017 ABET Applied Science Accreditation Commission (ASAC).
- The following CSIT faculty members have received the Southeastern Real-World Ready faculty grant for the 2016-2017 cycle. Congratulations!
- ET 132 -- Dr.Mohammad Zeidan, ET
- ET 400 -- Dr. Cris Koutsougeras, CS & ET
- OSHE 341 -- Dr. Ephraim Massawe, OSH&E
- EVENT: ACM had a crawfish boil on Wednesday Apr.27 from 4:30 PM to 6:30 PM in front of Fayard Hall.
- The following CSIT faculty and graduates participated in the 90th Annual Meeting of the Louisiana Academy of Sciences (LAS) on Saturday Apr.23 on the campus of Louisiana State University-Alexandria. Congratulations!
- PID Control for a Wearable E-Braille using a Force Sensing Resistor -- Alejandro Martinez, ET Fall 2015 Graduatae, with Dr. Mohammad Saadeh, ET <Selected for Best Undergraduate Oral Presentation>
- Effects of Nan-Silica on Recycled Aggregate Concrete -- Dr.Mohammad Zeidan, ET, with Colby Mire, ET Summer 2015 Graduate
- EVENT: AWS had a joint meeting with Gulf Coast Blacksmith Association on Tuesday Apr.19 from 5 PM to 9 PM in Fayard 107.
- Dr.Mohammad Zeidan, ET, and Joshua Achee, ET Senior, attended the ACI Spring convention in Milwaukee, WI in April 17-21, 2016. Mr. Achee gave a presentation, Effects of Nano-Silica on Recycled Aggregate Concrete, in the undergraduate research session.
- The following CSIT students have been selected for the 2016 Outstanding Graduate Senior
- Computer Science and Information Technology -- Matthew Puneky
- Engineering Technology -- Daniel Benasco
- Industrial Technology (Bachelor Degree) -- Emily Soileau
- Industrial Technology (Associate Degree) -- Ashton Guitreau
- OSH&E -- Keaton Northington
- EVENT: CSIT faculty participated in the Lion Pride Preview event on Saturday Apr.16 in the New Student Union Ballroom.
- EVENT: The following CSIT students participated in the fifth annual University of Louisiana System Academic Summit on Thursday, Apr.14 and Friday, Apr.15 on the campus of Nicholls State University.
- PID Control for a Wearable e-Braille Using a Force Sensing Resistor -- Timothy Carambat, ET Senior, with Dr. Mohammad Saadeh, ET
- The Ruskin Journey: GIS Applications in the Digital Humanities -- Brittney Jarreau, CS Senior, with Dr. Ghassan Alkadi, CS
- Workflow Visualization and Learning -- Bibek Gautam, CS Junior, with Dr. Wesley Dekeke, CS
- EVENT: ACM had a meeting on Wednesday Apr.13 at 6:30 PM in Fayard 122. The speaker is Mr. Matthew Gill and he discussed System Administration. Pizza and beverages were served.
- Dr. Patrick McDowell, Associate Professor of Computer Science and Holder of the Bellsouth Endowed Professorship, and Dr. Junkun Ma, Engineering Technology Program Coordinator and Associate Professor, received the 2015-2016 Louisiana Board of Regents Pilot Funding for New Research (Pfund) to conduct their research, Development of an Autonomous Platform for Bald Cypress Swamp Restoration. Congratulations!
- EVENT: The following CSIT students participated in the sixth annual Southeastern Students’
Research, Creative, and Scholarly Activities Showcase on Tuesday Apr.5 in the New
Student Union Ballroom. Congratulations!
- The Toxics Release Inventory (TRI) and Asthma in Louisiana by the Zip-Code -- Samson Ajayi, IT Sophomore, with Dr. Ephraim Massawe, OSH&E
- Woodworking Shops: A Proposed Framework to Prevent and Control Human Health and Safety Hazards -- Kristen Selby, OSH&E Senior, with Dr. Ephraim Massawe, OSH&E
- Layout Optimization Program -- William Foil, ET Senior, and Tyler Kennedy, ET Senior, with Dr. Junkun Ma, ET, and Dr. Mohammad Saadeh, ET
- Redesign of a Motor Vehicle Inspection Station -- David Cothell, ET Senior, Jacob Mercante, ET Senior, and Joseph Trosclair, ET Senior, with Dr. Lu Yuan
- Wearable Electronic Braille Device -- Timothy Carambat, ET Senior, with Dr. Mohammad Saadeh, ET
- Robotic Mechanical Hand -- David Cothell, ET Senior, Chad Newberry, ET Senior, and Steven Walker, ET Senior, with Dr. Cris Koutsougeras, CS & ET
- Cloud Computing: Security Hardening -- Christel Karam, ISAT, with Dr. Ihssan Alkadi, CS
- Pedestrian and Bicycle Circulation Redesign for South Campus of Southeastern Louisiana University -- Yi Wei, ISAT, with Dr. Roy Bonnette, IT
- The following OSH&E students have received the 2016 ASSE Foundation Scholarships. Congratulations!
- Greater Baton Rouge Chapter Don Jones Excellence in Safety Scholarship -- Emily Carithers, OSH&E Senior
- Granberry, Fleming, & Ross Scholarship -- Brennen Waguespack, OSH&E Senior
- Linda & Brad Giles Scholarship -- Joshua Sarran, OSH&E Fall 2013 Graduate
- Tech-Connect Career Fair 2016 (Technology-Focused Career Fair just for the CSIT Department) was held on Wednesday, Mar.23 in the first floor of Fayard Hall. A total of 38 employers participated in the event that attracted more than 300 students, graduates and faculty.
- Tyler Becker, a junior in computer science, was selected for the 2016 Tom Higginbotham Award. Congratulations to Tyler!
- EVENT: The 1st CSIT Student Organizations (AADE, ACM, ASSE, AWS, and WIT) Joint Meeting Resume and Interview Workshop is held on Wednesday Mar.16 at 6:30 PM in Fayard 109. The Office of Career Services staff members talked about job search and prep in general. Break-out sessions followed when the program faculty and students met and talked about the program-specific tips and ideas. Southern BBQ and Cajun Bayou dinner was served.
- The OSH&E program received a $1,000 gift from the Board of Certified Safety Professionals (BCSP) for being one of BCSP's Qualified Academic Programs (QAPs).
- EVENT: CSIT faculty participated in Literary Rally and Rock 'N Roar Fest XX on Saturday Mar.5. Mrs. Jing Liu administered the Literary Rally Computer Science test. Drs. Ephraim Massawe, Mohammad Saadeh, Kuo-pao Yang, and Lu Yuan participated in Rock 'N Roar Fest XX.
- EVENT: AADE (American Association of Drilling Engineers) Student Section had their meeting on Thursday Feb.18 at 5:30 PM in Fayard 218. The guest speaker is Dr. Jay Johnson of the Department of Management and Business Administration. Dr. Johnson talked about oil crisis and future outlook.
- EVENT: ASSE (American Society of Safety Engineers) Student Section had its February meeting in a joint effort with ASSE New Orleans Chapter & Delta Safety Society on Thursday Feb.18 at 11:30 AM in Student Union room 2202. The guest speaker is Mr. Brad Tassin of Beverly Industries. Mr. Tassin talked about Excavation Safety. Food and beverages were served.
- EVENT: WIT (Women in Technology) Southeastern Chapter will have their meeting on Wednesday Feb.17 at 7:30 PM in Fayard 122. The guest speaker is Susan O'Neal who works as a computer programmer at Farm Bureau Insurance. She will be speaking on the transition from student to employee. Light snacks and lemonade will be served.
- The following CSIT faculty members have received funding for their Student Technology
Fee Small Project Proposals. Congratulations!
- A Quadruped Robot for the Computer Science Capstone Project submitted by Dr. Lu Yuan on behalf of Dr. Patrick McDowell. This proposal was submitted and funded in July 2015.
- Tutorial Videos for Online Computer Courses submitted by Mrs. Allanagh Sewell.
- Devices for Real-World-Ready Graduates in IH Field Evaluation of Radiation and Noise Levels in the Workplace submitted by Dr. Ephraim Massawe.
- Robot Command Center submitted by Dr. Wesley Deneke.
- Mobile Computing for Competitive Programming and Recruitment submitted by Dr. John Burris.
- Updating Hardware and Software Packages Related submitted by Dr. Kuo-pao Yang.
- Extended and Redundant Storage Solution For Student and Faculty of the Computer Science, Industrial Technology, Engineering Technology and OSHE Departments submitted by Mr. Matthew Gill.
- Wheeled and Fixed Wing Unmanned Autonomous Vehicles with Multimodal Sensors for Engineering Technology and Research submitted by Mr. Steele Russell.
- EVENT: ACM had a meeting on Wednesday Feb.3 at 6:30 PM in Fayard 122. The speaker is Dr. John Burris. He talked about programming competitions. Food and beverages were served.
- EVENT: CSIT faculty participated in the Lion Pride Preview event on Saturday Jan.30 in the New Student Union Ballroom.
- EVENT: ASSE (American Society of Safety Engineers) Student Section had its January meeting on Wednesday Jan.27 at 5:00 PM in Fayard 218. The guest speaker is Mr. Chris Kuiper, new OSH&E Instructor at Southeastern. Mr. Kuiper talked about Safety and Health for New Employees. Food and beverages were served.
- Dr. Ephraim Massawe, OSH&E, received the January 2016 Faculty Senate President’s Scholar Award. Congratulations!
- EVENT: Halo Mobile Guard made a presentation on its company and the student opportunities on Thursday Jan.21 in Fayard 213.
- Dr. Lu Yuan's research paper, Musculoskeletal Disorders in Construction: Practical Solutions From the Literature, has been published in the January 2016 issue of Professional Safety, Journal of the American Society of Safety Engineers.
- EVENT: A group of Computer Science students visited Envoc, Transformyx data center, and Lamar Advertising Corporate Office in Baton Rouge on Tuesday Jan.5. The tour was organized by Dr. Ghassan Alkadi of Computer Science and Mr. Calvin Fabre, President of Envoc.