International Foreign Language Honor Society
Phi Sigma Iota recognizes outstanding accomplishment in the study or teaching of any of the academic fields related to foreign language, literature, or culture. These fields include not only modern foreign languages, but also Classics, Linguistics, Philology, Comparative Literature, Bilingual Education, Second Language Acquisition and other interdisciplinary programs with a significant foreign language component. Phi Sigma Iota is the highest academic honor in the field of foreign languages. There are approximately 250 chapters of Phi Sigma Iota at institutions of higher learning in the US, Mexico and France.
Southeastern Louisiana University is the Zeta Alpha chapter.
Qualifications for membership in PSI
Members are advanced undergraduates and graduate students in the fields of
* Foreign Languages (including classics and ESL)
* Comparative Literature
* Foreign Language Education
* Second Language Acquisition
Members are required to
* Major or Minor in one of the above fields
* Maintain a GPA of 3.0 or higher
* Attain junior standing or above before initiation
* Be at the upper 35% of their class.
Teachers and researchers in any of the above fields are eligible for membership.
For more information about our chapter, email Dr. Gutthy (firstname.lastname@example.org)