Ann Carruth, DNS, RN
Dean & Professor
Southeastern Louisiana University
College of Nursing and Health Sciences SLU 10835
Hammond LA 70402
PHONE: (985)- 549-3331
- D.N.S. Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center
- M.S.N. University of Mississippi Medical Center
- B.S. Southeastern Louisiana University
Licensure and Board Certifications
- Registered Nurse in Louisiana
- Professor, Southeastern Louisiana University
- Dean, College of Nursing and Health Sciences Southeastern Louisiana University
Honors & Awards
- Louisiana Nurses Foundtion Hall of Fame
- Sarah K. Thornhill Endowed Professorship in Nursing
- Rho Zeta Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau International, Outstanding Researcher of the year.
- President's Award for Excellence - Research Southeastern Louisiana University
- Nightingale Award: Outstanding Nurse Researcher, Louisiana State Nurses Foundation
- Mentor Award Graduating Nursing Seniors
- Project Healthy Farm Families Initiative selected by the Louisiana Rural Health Association as the Outstanding Rural Health Program of the Year.
- 2011 Top Nurse Tangipahoa District Nurses Association
- Epic corporation Endowed Professorship in Nursing
-Vice-Chairpeerson NOHS Board of Commissioners
- NIOSH Study Section 2015-2019
- Internal Advisory Board member Southwest Center for Agricultural Health, Injury Prevention & Education
- AgriSafe Board Roster 2014-2019
- American Nurses Association
- CCNE Site Visitor
- Sigma Theta Tau International (Rho Zeta)
- Phi Kappa Phi
Areas of Research Interest
- Culture of Hospital Environments and Impact on Retention of Nurses
-- Caregivers and care giving issues
- Oncology Nursing
- Community/Public Health Issues
- Environmental Health
- Maritime Emergency and Occupational Health -- Farm worker Health and Safety Issues
Selected Publications & Presentations
-Steele Moses, S, Creel, E., Carruth, A., "Recruitment Attributes Important to New Nurse Graduates Employed on Adult medical-Surgical Units" accepted for publication in the September/October 2018 issue of MEDSURG Nursing
-Wood, R., Ralph Wood*, Edward Hebert*, Chris Wirth*, Ali Venezia*, Shelly Welch*, Ann Carruth*, "Campus-Community Partnerships in Health and Wellness." Kinesiology Review Volume 6 issue 4, November 2017, 335-340.
-Jeffrey L. Levin, Karen Gilmore, Amanda Wickman, Sara Shepherd, Eva Shipp, Matthew Nonnenmann & Ann Carruth (2016) Workplace Safety Interventions for Commercial Fishermen of the Gulf, Journal of Agromedicine, 21;2, 178-189, DOI: 10.1080/1059924X.20161143430.
-Billingsley, L., and Carruth, A., (2015). Use of technology to promote effective medication adherence. Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing 46 (08), 340-342.
-Carruth, P.J., & Carruth, A.K., (2014) Educational and Financial Impact of e-Learning on Workforce Developement. Journal of College Teaching & Learning.
Carruth, A.K., (2012), First Aid Training for medical Emergencies in Rural Areas. Innovative outreach Practices Report. Halth Outreach Partners. Selected for inclusion in the 2012 IOP Compendium Practice publication.
-Levin, J., Gilmore, K., Carruth, A.K., Wickman, A. Shepard, S., Gllardo, G., Nonnenmann, M. (2011). Helping gulf shrimpers adopt safety measures: Importance of partnerships and research to prctice. Journal of Agromedicine, 17, 15-21.
- Carruth, A.K., Broussard, P., Waldmeier, V., Gauthier, D., Mixon, G. (2010). Graduate nursing online
orientation course: Transitioning for success. Journal of Nursing Education, 49(12),
- Carruth, A.K., Pryor, S., Cormier, C.. Bateman, A., Matzke, B., Gilmore, K., (2010). Evaluation of a school based train-the-trainer intervention program to teach first aid and risk reduction among high school students. Journal of School Health, 80(9), 453-460.
- Levin, J., Gilmore, K., Shepherd, S., Wickman, A., Carruth, A.K., Nalbone, J.T., Gallardo, G., Nonnemann, M. (2010). Factors influencing safety among a group of commercial fishermen along the Texas Gulf Coast. Journal of Agromedicine, 15(4), 363-374.
- Carruth, A.K., Levin, J., Gilmore, K., Bui, T., Gallardo, G., Evert, W., & Sealey, L. (2010). Cultural influences on safety and health education among Vietnamese fishermen. Journal of Agromedicine, 15(4), 375-385.
- Levin, J., Gilmore, K., Carruth, A.K., Nonnenmann, M., Evert, W., King, D. (2010). An interview with Vietnamese fishermen of Louisiana in the wake of the oil spill. Journal of Agromedicine, 15(4), 337-342.
- Carruth, A.K., Pryor, S, Cormier, C. Gilmore, K. Bates, A., Matzke, B., 2010. Evaluation of a School Based Train-the-Trainer Intervention Program to Teach First Aid and Risk Reduction among High School Students. Journal of School Health, 80(9) 453-460.
- Hathorn, D., Carruth, A.K., Agosta, L., & Pryor, S. (2009). Self reported back pain among farm women in southeast Louisiana. AAOHN, 57(6), 232-238.
- Carruth, P.J. & Carruth, A.K. (2008). Accounting and Economic Implications of Healthcare Information Technology. Journal of Business and Economics Research, 6 (7), 63-67.
- Carruth, A.K., Duthu, S., Levin, J., Lavigne, T. (2008) Behavior change, environmental hazards and
respiratory protection among a southern farm community. Journal of Agromedicine, 13
- Schexnaydre, M. Carruth, A.K. (2008) My Father's Experience with Macular Degeneration. Home Health Care Nurse. 26(1) 8-14.
- AACN 2008 Master's Education Conference February 22, 2008. Graduate Nursing Online Orientation Course: Transitioning For Success
- Elliot, Synovitz, L. Diez, K. Carruth, A.K.(2007) Mexican colonia residents' health perceptions and spirituality level: predictors of and relationships to demographics. International electronic Journal of Health Education. Novermber edition.
- Durand, E., Logan, C., & Carruth, A.K. (2007) Association of Maternal Obesity and Childhood Obesity: Implications for Healthcare Providers. Jounal of Community Health Nursing. Vol 24 (3), 167-176.
Selected Funded Projects and Research:
- Thermal Load among Vietnamese Shrimp Fisherman, NIOSH, 2016-2021.
- CDC/NIOSH U50 OH07541 Levin, J (PI) NIOSH/Southwest Center for Agricultural Health, Injury Prevention and Education Innovative Approaches to Worker Health Protection among Shrimp Fishermen of the Gulf Coast. 2006-2011.
- Faculty Development Grant First Aid for Preteens: Impact on preparedness and Injury prevention. 2007-2008. --USDA The Health Coach for Care Coordination (HC4) Project- 6/16 - 6/18 -BOR Creating Opportunities for Access and Community Health: Project COACH 6/16 - 6/18 -USDA Carruth (PI) Delta Health Care Service Grant Program 2013-2015 -CDC-NIOSH Carruth (PI) NIOSH/Southwest Center for Agricultural Health, Injury Prevention and Education Marketing Safety and Health among Vietnamese Shrimp Fisherman 2011-2016