Ann Carruth, DNS, RN
• Southeastern Louisiana University
College of Nursing and Health Sciences SLU 10835
Hammond LA 70402
• PHONE:(985)- 549-3772
• D.N.S. Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center
• M.S.N. University of Mississippi Medical Center
• B.S. Southeastern Louisiana University
Licensure and Board Certifications
• Registered Nurse in Louisiana
• Professor, Southeastern Louisiana University
• Dean, College of Nursing and Health Sciences Southeastern Louisiana University
Honors & Awards
• Elected Board of Directors: International Association of Agricultural Safety and Health
• Nominated Charlotte Brody Award
• Sarah K. Thornhill Endowed Professorship in Nursing
• Rho Zeta Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau International, Outstanding Researcher of the year.
• President's Award for Excellence – Research Southeastern Louisiana University
• Nightingale Award: Outstanding Nurse Researcher, Louisiana State Nurses Foundation
• Mentor Award Graduating Nursing Seniors
• Project Healthy Farm Families Initiative selected by the Louisiana Rural Health Association as the Outstanding Rural Health Program of the Year.
• Baton Rouge General Hospital 10 year service award
• Epic corporation Endowed Professorship in Nursing
• International Society for Agricultural Safety and Health– Full Member
• North American Agromedicine Consortium -member
• Internal Advisory Board member Southwest Center for Agricultural Health, Injury Prevention & Education
• Louisiana Rural Health Association
• American Nurses Association
• Tangipahoa District Nurses Association
• Oncology Nursing Society/Baton Rouge Oncology Nursing Society, member
• Southern Nursing Research Society
• Sigma Theta Tau International (Rho Zeta)
• Phi Kappa Phi
• Community-Campus Partnerships for Health
Areas of Research Interest
• Caregivers and care giving issues
• Oncology Nursing
• Community/Public Health Issues
• Environmental Health
• Farm worker Health and Safety Issues
Selected Publications & Presentations
• Carruth, A.K., Gauthier, D., McAllister, B., Waldmeier, V., Graduate Nursing Students' Strategies to Maintain Connectivity in Online Coursework Following Hurricanes. Under Review Nurse Educator.
• Carruth, A.K., Broussard, P., Waldmeier, V., Gauthier, D., Mixon, G. (2010). Graduate nursing online orientation course: Transitioning for success. Journal of Nursing Education, 49(12), 687-690.
• Carruth, A.K., Pryor, S., Cormier, C.. Bateman, A., Matzke, B., Gilmore, K., (2010). Evaluation of a school based train-the-trainer intervention program to teach first aid and risk reduction among high school students. Journal of School Health, 80(9), 453-460.
• Levin, J., Gilmore, K., Shepherd, S., Wickman, A., Carruth, A.K., Nalbone, J.T., Gallardo, G., Nonnemann, M. (2010). Factors influencing safety among a group of commercial fishermen along the Texas Gulf Coast. Journal of Agromedicine, 15(4), 363-374.
• Carruth, A.K., Levin, J., Gilmore, K., Bui, T., Gallardo, G., Evert, W., & Sealey, L. (2010). Cultural influences on safety and health education among Vietnamese fishermen. Journal of Agromedicine, 15(4), 375-385.
• Levin, J., Gilmore, K., Carruth, A.K., Nonnenmann, M., Evert, W., King, D. (2010). An interview with Vietnamese fishermen of Louisiana in the wake of the oil spill. Journal of Agromedicine, 15(4), 337-342.
• Carruth, A.K., Pryor, S, Cormier, C. Gilmore, K. Bates, A., Matzke, B., 2010. Evaluation of a School Based Train-the-Trainer Intervention Program to Teach First Aid and Risk Reduction among High School Students. Journal of School Health, 80(9) 453-460.
• Hathorn, D., Carruth, A.K., Agosta, L., & Pryor, S. (2009). Self reported back pain among farm women in southeast Louisiana. AAOHN, 57(6), 232-238.
• Carruth, P.J. & Carruth, A.K. (2008). Accounting and Economic Implications of Healthcare Information Technology. Journal of Business and Economics Research, 6 (7), 63-67.
• Carruth, A.K., Duthu, S., Levin, J., Lavigne, T. (2008) Behavior change, environmental hazards and respiratory protection among a southern farm community. Journal of Agromedicine, 13 (1), 49-58.
• Schexnaydre, M. Carruth, A.K. (2008) My Father's Experience with Macular Degeneration. Home Health Care Nurse. 26(1) 8-14.
• AACN 2008 Master's Education Conference February 22, 2008. Graduate Nursing Online Orientation Course: Transitioning For Success
• Elliot, Synovitz, L. Diez, K. Carruth, A.K.(2007) Mexican colonia residents' health perceptions and spirituality level: predictors of and relationships to demographics. International electronic Journal of Health Education. Novermber edition.
• Durand, E., Logan, C., & Carruth, A.K.(2007) Association of Maternal Obesity and Childhood Obesity: Implications for Healthcare Providers. Jounal of Community Health Nursing. Vol 24 (3), 167-176
Selected Funded Projects and Research
• Board of Regents Enhancement Grant-Developing a Multimedia Simulation to Enhance eLearning for Graduate Nursing Students. 2010-2012.
• CDC/NIOSH U50 OH07541 Levin, J (PI)NIOSH/Southwest Center for Agricultural Health, Injury Prevention and Education Innovative Approaches to Worker Health Protection among Shrimp Fishermen of the Gulf Coast. 2006-2011.
• Faculty Development Grant First Aid for Preteens: Impact on preparedness and Injury prevention. 2007-2008.
• ULS Serves Learn and Serve America – funding: Bridging Telehealth Competencies and Enhancing Health Recovery: Soothing the Aches in Rural Health Disparities.
• Faculty Development Grant First Aid for Preteens: Impact on preparedness and Injury prevention.
• Learning Online: Accelerated Training for Success in the Graduate Nursing Program – CITI grant.
• Nursing Research
• Editorial Board, Journal of Agricultural Safety and Health
• Journal of Rural Health.
• American Society of Agriculture and Biological Engineers
• American Journal of Industrial medicine