Thomas DeVaney, PhD, MEd
Southeastern Louisiana University
College of Education
Department of Educational Leadership and Technology
Hammond, LA 70402
PHONE: (985) 549-5069 or (985) 549-2217
FAX: (985) 549-5712
- Doctor of Philosophy Mississippi State University
- Master of Education The University of West Alabama
- Bachelor of Science The University of West Alabama
- Assistant Dean, College of Education, Southeastern Louisiana University
- Professor, Department of Educational Leadership and Technology, Southeastern Louisiana University
- American Psychological Association - Division D
- Southwest Educational Research Association
- Mid-South Educational Research Association
- Louisiana Educational Research Association
- Louisiana Council of Professors of Educational Administration
Areas of Research Interest
- Statistical significance testing and practices
- Online distance education
- Statistic anxiety
Selected Publications & Presentations
- DeVaney, T. A., Adams, N. B., Hill-Winstead, F., & Trahan, M. (2012). The Revised
School Culture Elements Questionnaire: Gender and grade level invariant? Research
in the Schools, 19(2).
- DeVaney, T. A. (2012). Structure and reliability of the Statistical Anxiety Rating Scale: An examination using students in online statistics courses. Presentation at the Annual Meeting of the Southwest Educational Research Association, New Orleans, LA.
- Della-Pietra, C., Bidner, S., & DeVaney, T. A. (2010). Preservice elementary classroom
teachers' attitudes toward music in the school curriculum and teaching. Research and
Issues in Music Education, 8(1).
- Adams, N. B., DeVaney, T. A., Longstreet, W. S. (2010). Investigating aspects of an emerging digital ethnicity: Development of the Digital Ethnicity Scale (DES). Computers in Human Behavior, 26, 1822-1830. doi: 10.1016/j.chb.2010.07.010
- Adams, N. B, & DeVaney, T. A. (2010). Recursive Knowledge Development for Virtual Environments. In G. Vincenti & J. Braman (Eds.) Teaching through mulit-user virtual environments: Applying dynamic elements to the modern classroom. Hershey, NY: Information Science Reference.
- DeVaney, T. A. (2010). Anxiety and attitude of graduate students in online vs. on-campus statistics courses. Journal of Statistics Education.
DeVaney, T. A. (2009). Impact of video tutorials in an online educational statistics course. Journal of Online Learning and Teaching, 5(4).
- DeVaney, T. A., Carr, S, & Allen, D. (2009). Impact of Hurricane Katrina on the educational system in southeast Louisiana: One Year Follow-Up. Research in the Schools, 16(1), 32-44.
- Adams, N. B., DeVaney, T. A., & Sawyer, S. G. (2009). Measuring conditions conducive to knowledge development in virtual learning environments: Initial development of a model-based survey. Journal of Technology, Learning, and Assessment, 8(1).
- Adams, N. B., & DeVaney, T. A. (2009). The effect of high stakes testing on dimensions of teacher efficacy and organizational climate in a sample of southern rural schools. Contemporary Issues in Education, 2(2), 66-74.
- Campbell, K. T., Harchar, R., DeVaney, T. A., & McCartney, D. (2009). Modeling instructional best practices: Pedagogy of college of education professors. School Leadership Review, 4(2), 22-35.
- Armenta, T., & DeVaney, T. (2008). School administrator's perceptions of a principal preparation program after participating in portfolio defenses. International Journal of Educational Leadership Preparation, 3(3).
- DeVaney, T. A., Adams, N. B., & Elliott, C. B. (2008, November). Assessment of online learning environments: Using the OCLES(20) with graduate level online classes. Journal of Interactive Online Learning, 7(3).
- Coombs-Richardson, R., & DeVaney, T. A. (2008). The development and validation of a personality instrument to increase collaboration. Educational Research and Review, 3(4), 121-127.