Lorinda J. Sealey, PhD, RN
• Associate Professor
• Southeastern Louisiana University
College of Nursing and Health Sciences SLU 10835
Hammond LA 70402
• PHONE: (225)-765-2324/ (985)-549-5045
• Ph.D. Louisiana State University
• M.S. Arizona State University
• B.S. University of Texas at Austin
Licensure and Board Certifications
• Registered Nurse in Louisiana
• Certified in Maternal Newborn Nursing by the National Certification Corporation for the Obstetric, Gynecologic and Neonatal Nursing Specialties (NCC)
• Graduate Nursing Coordinator
• Associate Professor, Southeastern Louisiana University, School of Nursing
Honors & Awards
• Hewell Perkins Fellowship Louisiana State University
• National Nursing Honorary Society
• Nominated for President's Award for Excellence in Teaching, Southeastern Louisiana University
• Nominated for Louisiana Nurses Foundation's Nurse Educator of the year Award.
• Recipient of Baton Rouge District Association's Helen Johnson Creemens Excellence in Teaching Award
• American Nurses Association
• Louisiana State Nurses Association
• Baton Rouge District Nurses Association
• Sigma Theta Tau, Rho Zeta Chapter
• Association of Women's Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses
Areas of Research Interest
• Professional Socialization of Students and Graduates of Second Degree Nursing Programs. A quantitative cross sectional study in data analysis.
• The Lived Experience of Southeastern and UNAH Students Working Together: A Model for Study Abroad. A qualitative phenomenological study.
Selected Publications & Presentations
• Sealey, L., Hathorn, D., & Wafer, M. (2012) The lived experience of Southeastern and UNAH students working together. Submitted to the The Qualitative Report. Under review.
• Carruth, A. Levin, J., Gilmore, K. Bui, T., Gallardo, G., Evert, W. & Sealey, L. (2010). Cultural influences on safety and health education among Vietnamese fishermen. Journal of Agromedicine, 15, 375-385.
• The lived experience of Southeastern and UNAH students working together. Sigma Theta Tau International Nursing Honor Society, Rho Zeta Chapter. 2011.
• Professional Socialization of Second Degree Students. Sigma Theta Tau International Nursing Honor Society, Rho Zeta Chapter, Annual Connie Logan Research Day. 2011.
• Developing Cultural Competence in Health Care. Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA, Presented to LSU Student Organisation: Multiculturalism in Health Care. 2010.
• The Lived Experience of Nursing Students from the United States and Honduras Working Together: A Model for Study Abroad. Universidad Autónoma de Honduras (UNAH), School of Nursing, Tegucigalpa. 2010.
• Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, Louisiana. "Developing cultural competence in health care" presentation for Multiculturalism in Health Care student organization, 2010.
• A Model for Study Abroad: American and Honduran Nursing Students Working Together. Our Lady of the Lake, Regional Medical Center, Baton Rouge, LA, sponsored by BRDNA. 2010.
• The Lived Experience of Nursing Students from the United States and Honduras Working Together: A Model for Study Abroad. Indianapolis, Indiana. Sigma Theta Tau International, Biennial Convention. 2009.
• Levels of Nursing Education and Practice in the United States. Colegio de Enfermeras (Board of Nursing), Tegucigalpa, Honduras. 2009.
• Board of Nursing Tegucigalpa, Honduras: Levels of Nursing Education and Practice in the United States, 2008.
• Developing Cultural Competence. Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center, Baton Rouge. 2007.
• Working With Interpreters. Earl K. Long Medical Center, Baton Rouge, Louisiana. A continuing education offering for Nurses and Allied Health personnel. 2007.
• SLU, Baton Rouge Center: "Caring for Latino Clients: The Basics about Language and Culture". 2007.
Selected Funded Projects and Research
• Advance Education Nursing Traineeship Award, HRSA. Funded 2011 - 2012; 2012 - 2014.
• Using Technology to Enhance Communication between Nursing Students and the Hispanic Community. SLU, Center for Faculty Excellence Innovative Teaching Initiative (CITI) Grant. 2009.
• Lived Experience of Southeastern Nursing Students Working with UNAH Nursing Students in Honduras: A Model for Study Abroad. Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing – Rho Zeta Chapter. Research grant. 2009.
• Pryor, S., Sealey,L. & Tilman, K. Accelerated Nursing Programs. SLU Faculty Development Grant. 2008.
• Sealey, L. & Wafer, M. (co- Principal Investigators). Cross-Cultural Educational Interactions via Internet Videoconferencing. SLU Teaching Enhancement Grant. 2007.
• Teaching Students to Overcome Patient Language Barriers: A Web Based Approach. SLU - Center's Innovative Teaching Initiative. 2007.
• SLU Teaching Enhancement Grant, "Cross-Cultural Educational Interactions via-Internet Videoconferencing ", 2007.