Frequently Asked Questions


General Questions

Where is the Center for Student Excellence (CSE) located?

The CSE is located in the Student Union Annex which is directly below the student union theater. If the bookstore is on your left, then you will look for double glass doors on your right (behind the stairs) with an elevator inside the building. Stay on the first floor and check in with the front desk.

For more information and a video of our location, visit our About Us page.

If students need help with math courses, where should they go?

The Math Drop-In Tutoring Lab, located in Fayard Hall, Room 211, provides assistance for students enrolled in the following math classes: 105, 161, 162, 163, 165, 167, 168, 200, 241, and 267. All tutors have had extensive math courses and training. Math computer software and videos are also available to assist students.

If students need help with writing assignments, where should they go?

The Writing Center, located in D Vickers Hall, Room 210. Students can sign up for half-hour appointments with trained writing consultants as needed.During the conferences, students talk with the consultants about their course papers, useful strategies for generating ideas or for revising and editing their work, or any other academic and personal writing needs.

If students need tutoring help, where should they go?

The Center for Student Excellence (CSE) Learning Assistance lab located in the Student Union Annex. Tutoring services are available by appointment for individuals and small groups. Each session lasts 45 minutes. Historically difficult classes are generally covered, including English, Spanish, French, math, biological sciences, chemistry, physics, history, and accounting.

What is the best way for a student to contact a professor?

Find out the professor's scheduled office hours and make an appointment to discuss your concerns. You can contact your professor to set up an appointment either by phone or e-mail.

How can I learn to use LEONet to register, check my grades, calculate my GPA, etc.?

Several "How Do I?" documents have been designed for students to guide them through the variety of tasks they need to perform in LEONet. Each quick sheet opens as a pdf document that can be printed and reused as often as needed.

Does Southeastern have a work-study program?

Yes, the Southeastern Student Employment Network provides four types of undergraduate work-study opportunities: Federal Work-Study, State Work-Study, Community Service Work-Study, and the America Reads Challenge. There are also graduate assistantships available for graduate students. Each of the work study programs allow students to work up to 25 hours per week.

How many credit hours do students need to become an upper class commuter?

Students need to have successfully earned 30 credit hours before they achieve upper class status.

How can students change their majors?

After discussing their options with their academic advisor, students can change their major through their LeoNet account. Here’s a link to a PDF with detailed instructions: Change My Major Online

If a student earns a BA in History, is he or she able to teach high school history?

No, students who wish to teach at the high school level must have an add-on certification, earned through the College of Education and Human Development,to teach grades 6-12in the public school system.

How can information be changed, such as date of birth, which has been entered in the system incorrectly?

Contact the Office of Records and Registration, North Campus, Building B, Room 113 and let them know what information needs to be changed.

If a student needs to access his or her catalogue, where can it be found?

University General Catalogues are available electronically (PDF & web-based) through the Office of Records and Registration’s website. Online Catalogue



Academic Advising

What happens at an academic advising session?

Students need to arrive at academic advising sessions well prepared. This means they need to have their advising folder, a copy of their curriculum sheets, a list of questions they have for their advisor, and a list of courses they would like to take. During this session, the advisors and students discuss which classes they should register for in the upcoming semester. The courses will be written down on a form that both the advisor and student sign. The advisors then gives a copy of the form to the students to use during their registration appointments.

Once they have been advised, how do students register for their classes?

Students register for classes via the course registration section of LEONet. To learn more about how to use LEONet to register, review the quick sheet, " How to Register for Classes."

Do students have to take everything in their curriculum?

Yes, they must take every course listed in their curriculum. Each curriculum is designed not only with the students' careers in mind, but more importantly to help the students understand themselves,their world, other people, and enrich their lives.

When students complete the Star Program (Education), who do they contact to receive credit for successfully completing the program?

Contact Joan Penton, College of Education and Human Development, TEC 1018B,

Where can undecided majors go to get help exploring career options?

Career Advisors in the Center for Student Excellence help students explore college majors and associated career paths.

If a student takes General Biology 106, does he or she have to take General Biology 151?

General Biology 106 does not substitute for General Biology 151. However, General Biology 151 can be substituted for General Biology 106. If a student's major does not require General Biology 151, that student can take either course.

Do I have to take Math 161 if I am taking Math 151?

No, you cannot get credit for both. The material is the same in both courses; Math 151 simply involves more practice for mastering the concepts.

Do all students have to take Communication 211 (Speech)?

Yes and no. All non-education majors are required to complete Communication 211. It is one of the courses in the general (core) curriculum that is required for all students in all majors. All education majors are required to take COMM 210.

What do students have to do to minor in a specific field (For example, a Biology major desiring an Art minor)?

They must take 18-21 credit hours of required courses in the field they choose for their minor. However, it is important to always refer to the relevant college catalogue and meet with an Academic Advisor in order to confirm the minor.

How do students withdraw from classes?

If a student does not have any transitional classes, they can withdraw through Leonet. ( If a student is trying to withdraw from a lab that goes to a science class or if they have a transitional class on their schedule, they will need to fill out a withdrawal form.These students must go to their major department and get a Course Withdrawal form, complete their portion of the form, and obtain the required signatures. They must then turn the completed form in to the Office of Admissions and always make sure to keep a copy for themselves.

When does a student formally apply to the Nursing Program?

Students should formally apply to the Nursing Program the semester in which they will have finished all of the academic prerequisites (all math, English, science, and humanities and social science courses, i.e., all required classes that don't have a Nursing prefix). Application for progression must be on file in the Office of the Director, Hammond Campus, by February 15th if students are finishing their prerequisites in the spring semester and September 15th if they are finishing their prerequisites in the fall semester.


Academic Regulations

Can a student appeal a grade if they think it is unfair?

Yes. If a student contests a final grade, he or she has 30 calendar days to submit a written appeal to the instructor. The letter of appeal should be accompanied by all course materials to be considered. The instructor will render his or her decision in writing within 10 working days, or as soon thereafter as is practical. If the appeal is not resolved with the instructor within 10 days, the student may submit a written appeal of the problem to the instructor's department head with a copy of all the materials previously submitted to the instructor, with the instructor's decision. For more information about appealing a final grade, see the Admissions Criteria and Academic Regulations section of the University Catalogue.

What is the University's class attendance policy?

Students are expected to attend all classes in which they are registered both regularly and punctually. Failure to do so may jeopardize the student's academic standing and can result in suspension from the University. An absence may be considered excused if it is due to an authorized University activity. It may also be excused if deemed so by the instructor. However, the instructor may choose to withdraw any student who receives unexcused absences totaling 10% of the total classes. For more information about the University's attendance policy, see the Admissions Criteria and Academic Regulations section of the University Catalogue.

What GPA constitutes Good standing?

A student with a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher is considered to be in good standing. A student will be placed on academic probation whenever his or her cumulative GPA falls below 2.0. The student will remain on academic probation until a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher is achieved. For more information about academic standing and/or probation, see the Admissions Criteria and Academic Regulations section of the University Catalogue.

What should students do who receive letters stating that they have been placed on academic probation?

Talk to the professors in whose class/classes they are getting low grades to determine the cause of the poor performance and then address the root cause.If the problem is of an academic nature, some possible campus support services include: The Writing Center, Math Drop-In Tutor Lab, and CSE Learning Assistance Programs.

When students are suspended, can they regain admission to the University?

Yes, students suspended for the first time will be eligible to return at the end of the next regular semester (fall or spring). Students who are suspended for the second or subsequent times will be suspended for a full calendar year. At the end of the suspension period, the student is eligible to return, but must apply for admission to the University. Students on suspension are eligible to attend summer school. If at the end of the summer semester the student's cumulative GPA is 2.0 or higher, the student is returned to good academic standing. For more information about suspensions and readmissions, see the Admissions Criteria and Academic Regulations section of the University Catalogue.

Can students test out of courses covering material at which they already excel?

Yes,Southeastern believes that persons with knowledge equivalent to that usually attained in specific courses should be advanced in level to afford a continuous challenge. Thus, the University will accept a maximum of 30 semester credit hours through the College Level Examination Program (CLEP). These tests are given by appointment at the Office of Testing.

If a student gets a low grade, can he or she repeat the course to earn a better grade?

A student who gets an A is not eligible to repeat a course. A student who receives a B or C can retake the course only once. The two grades will be averaged to determine the student's final course grade. A student who receives a D or F can repeat the course as many times as necessary until a grade of C or better is earned. For more information about repeating a course, see the Admissions Criteria and Academic Regulations section of the University Catalogue.

Can students attend summer school at another university and get credit toward their degree for the classes completed?

Students may enroll in host institutions if the courses are not offered at Southeastern during the cross-enrollment semester. Students may take one course for each course taken at Southeastern with a maximum of two courses per semester. For more information about cross-enrollment, see the Admissions Criteria and Academic Regulations section of the University Catalogue.

Where can students go to speak to someone about cross-enrolling?

Students obtain a Cross-Enrollment Form from the Office of Records and Registration on North Campus, Building B, Room 113. They then work with an Admissions Counselor to complete the form, take the form their Academic Advisor and Academic Dean for approval signatures, and return the form to the Office of Records and Registration so the request can be processed. Students will be registered for the courses and the tuition/fees will be added to their Southeastern fee statement. After students have paid their tuition, the form will be signed by the Southeastern Registrar. The Office of Admissions will forward the approved form to the host institution.


Financial Aid

Once students qualify for TOPS, do they have to reapply each year?

Students are strongly encouraged to reapply annually for TOPS by completing a FAFSA or renewal FAFSA. Students must complete the FAFSA annually if they qualify for federal grant aid. In the event of a budget shortfall, students who do not reapply by submitting a FAFSA or renewal FAFSA will be the first to lose their TOPS awards. Contact the Office of Financial Aid for more information.

How many credit hours must students be enrolled for to continue to receive TOPS?

To continue to receive TOPS, students must be continuously enrolled as full-time students and complete 24 hours of credit each academic year or complete the remaining number of hours needed in their undergraduate degree during their final semester. Failure to earn 24 hours will result in permanent cancellation of the award unless the student is granted an exception for cause.

Are there any exceptions to the requirement to maintain full-time status to continue to receive TOPS?

Yes, under exceptional circumstances, such as a permanent disability or being called to active military duty, students can seek a waiver by completing an Exception form, available from LOSFA or on the web site:

If students fall below the minimum GPA required to receive TOPS, will they be able to receive it in subsequent semesters if they meet the GPA requirements?

Students whose awards are suspended for failure to maintain the required GPA may be reinstated upon attainment of the required GPA, provided that the period of ineligibility did not exceed 2 years.



How many hours can a student register for during a semester?

Full-time students may register for a maximum of 19 credit hours during a regular semester. If a student has an average of 3.0 on a full-time load for the previous semester, he or she can appeal to his or her academic dean to request an exception to this policy. A 3.0 average made during the summer will not be considered in interpreting this regulation. Full-time students may register for a maximum of 10 credit hours during the summer semester. However, a student with an average of 3.0 can appeal to their academic dean to take additional classes during the summer. For more information about maximum credit hours, see the Admissions Criteria and Academic Regulations section of the University Catalogue.

How long does a student have to complete any required developmental courses?

Developmental courses must be completed within the first two semesters of enrollment.

What can a student do who wants to attend Southeastern but needs to complete two developmental courses?

Students in this situation have three options, (1) participate in the summer bridge program, where they take one of the developmental courses during the summer semester, (2) take at least one of the developmental courses at a community college, or (3) take the Compass exam to test out of one or more of the developmental courses. For more information about developmental courses, see the Admissions Criteria and Academic Regulations section of the University Catalogue.

How can students find out the dates of important events, such as registration, drop and add, and the last day to withdraw from a class?

To learn important dates during the current semester, see the academic calendar.

What is the difference between a registration hold and an enrollment appointment?

A registration hold is placed on a student's account to prevent them from registering, until they see their academic advisor and complete course schedule advising. An enrollment appointment is a time assigned by the Office of Records and Registration during which a student is allowed to access the registration system. These are placed on a student's account one week before priority registration begins. Once your registration hold is removed, you cannot register for classes until you enrollment appointment time begins.

Where can I find my enrollment appointment?

Log in to LEONet and click Manage Student Records > Manage Academic Records > Use > Appointments. Type in your W#, make sure the term is correct, and then click Search.

Support Services

Are there any special support services to help student athletes keep up with their coursework?

Yes, the Academic Support for Athletes Program (ASAP) is committed to helping students achieve excellence in the classroom. ASAP services include academic advising, academic support, and academic monitoring.

How does a student qualify for disability services?

A student seeking accommodations is required to provide appropriate documentation that will substantiate the claim of disability. Once the disability has been documented, the Office of Disability Services collaborates with University departments to facilitate the process of ensuring academic accommodations for students with disabilities. The purpose is to ensure that students with disabilities are fully able to participate in all activities, programs, and services the University offers.

Are there any special programs for veterans?

Yes, the Office of Veterans Services provides a wide range of services to honorably discharged veterans. These services include but are not limited to academic instruction, enrollment assistance, and financial aid assistance.

What should a student do if his or her campus ID card is lost or stolen?

Report the loss to the Campus Police and Campus Card Operations, located in the Student Union, Room 113. To replace the ID, students will have to pay a $15 processing fee at the Controller's Office, located on North Campus. Once the fee is paid, students take the receipt to Campus Card Operations to receive their new ID.

When students feel sick, where can they go for medical assistance?

All students enrolled at Southeastern Louisiana University who carry 4 or more hours in the spring and fall semesters and 2 or more hours in the summer semester pay a minimal health fee during registration. This fee entitles students to unlimited visits to the Campus Health Center during the semester they are enrolled. To make an appointment, call 985-549-2241.



If you have any questions that were not answered above, please contact the Center for Student
Excellence (985-549- 3981) for further assistance.


Teaching SE 101

SE 101 Course Description

Southeastern 101 is a student success course that provides tools for the rigors of academic life on the University level. Topics include the purpose and value of higher education; the expectations and responsibilities of a college student; the development of analytical and metacognitive learning strategies; the selection of an appropriate major and the development of degree/career goals; and personal management during the college years.

Course Plan

SE 101 is a 2-credit hour class required for graduation in every Southeastern major.

The structure of the course requires both a face-to-face meeting and an online component. Students will meet with their instructor in-class for one hour a week. The other two hours are dedicated to completing the online component. Students have the responsibility of visiting the course page to read course materials and completing all assignments in a timely fashion.

Blackboard is the platform used for the course.

Who do I contact if I'm interested in teaching SE 101?

You should let your Department Head know of your interest. With his or her approval, your name will be submitted to your Dean for approval. Your Dean or Department Head should contact Dorothy Nelson, Interim Director of the CSE, who will assign a section to you.

How will I be compensated for teaching SE 101?

There three categories that faculty who teach SE 101 fall into. This will determine the compensation given for the class.
*Teaching SE 101 as 'overload' Compensation will be the same as with any other overload class.
*Teaching SE 101 as part of your full time load Compensation will be the same as your previous full time load.
*Teaching SE 101 as reassigned time or banking the hours No extra compensation for reassignment. Compensation for banked hours will be given during the semester the 'saving' is used.

What training is available for SE 101?

Training modules for the course are located on the SE 101 faculty site in Blackboard. There will be one training session just before the semester starts. The Blackboard modules on the SE 101 faculty site are to supplement training provided by the Center for Faculty Excellence.
The Center for Student Excellence staff and past SE 101 instructors are excellent resources for activities and tips for increasing student participation.

Do I have to teach SE 101 every semester?

No. Interested and approved (by Department Head and College Dean) faculty and unclassified staff are assigned sections in the fall. Because of fewer sections offered in spring semesters, only CSE advisors teach the course (off-campus sites have faculty assigned to the sections one at each site during the spring).

Do I have to adhere to the structure of the course?

The course has been structured to meet certain standards and goals. You have the flexibility of following your own teaching style within the layout of the course.
Your opinion is important, and after each fall semester, faculty are asked to meet with the Provost for sharing your experiences. The Provost may support minor course modifications, based on your input without changing important elements that serve as QEP goals and measures for SACS recommendations.

How do I "open" the course and make it available to students?

Make the course available by logging into Blackboard >> going to Control panel >> Settings >> Course availability >> Select 'Yes' and submit.

My SE 101 section is available to students but they cannot see the learning units.

Students have to complete the pretest for all the learning units to become available.
If students have completed the pretest and do not have access to some learning units, you need to check the adaptive release by following these step: Control panel >> Learning units >> Manage on the right hand side of the learning unit that is not accessible >> Adaptive release advanced >> If there is a rule (other than the pretest rule), check the box and remove. Call Gayle Campbell (ex. 3632) or Dorothy Nelson (ex. 2491) for more detailed instruction, if necessary.

Do I have to create tests for the course?

No. All the tests and quizzes have already been created. All you have to do is set the availability of the tests at the designated dates and times.

How do I make a test accessible to students in Blackboard?

Go to control panel >> Learning Units >> Modify (located on the right hand side of the test in question) >> set test availability to 'YES', enter the appropriate dates (make sure to check the boxes above the dates) and submit. Log on to blackboard as the 'fake student' (temporary ID given to each SE 101 instructor) to make sure that it is available to students.

What happened to the test? It was available yesterday but the link has disappeared.

First check the test dates. It is likely the due date is past and the test is no longer available to students.

How do I handle absenteeism?

All instructors are expected to adhere to Southeastern Louisiana University policy. Students need to present an acceptable excuse in order to make up any missed work.