Southeastern welcomes students back for the start of classes this week while we continue to keep all faculty, staff and students who are not yet able to make it to campus in our thoughts as the region works to recover from devastating flooding.
We attempted to reach ALL our students in recent days, but we realize communication has been difficult, if not impossible for some. If you are just now able to see this message, please contact email@example.com so we can have a better understanding of your status and work with you so you can attain your educational goals.
FLOOD RECOVERY FAQs
BOGALUSA, LOUISIANA-BANKSTON (83 Slides-originals and copies.)
Slide 1--Title slide for slide show entitled Bogalusa Then and Now
Slide 2--Frank Henry and Charles Waterhouse Goodyear, founders of Great Southern Lumber Co.
Slide 3--First Great Southern Lumber Company Camp
Slide 4--William Henry Sullivan on right, first General Manager of Great Southern and first Mayor of Bogalusa. Unidentified man on left.
Slide 5--The way the camp site looks today
Slide 6--A commemorative marker
Slide 7--A stand of long leaf yellow pine
Slide 8--Large logs cut and loaded on train, "BOGALUSA" Brand Trademark
Slide 9--Great Southern Lumber Company as it looked in its prime
Slide 10--Refuse burner at Great Southern Lumber Company
Slide 11--Bogalusa Paper Company in 1926. Great Southern started using the refuse to make paper
Slide 12--Gaylord Paper Company
Slide 13--Crown Zellerbach Corporation as it looks today
Slides 14-17--Rear views of Crown Zellerbach Corporation
Slide 18--Crown Zellerbach Corporation front view
Slide 19--Scene of Bogalusa Railroad Depot. The Goodyear’s brought rail service.
Slide 20--Railroad Depot in Bogalusa
Slide 21--Depot began to be refurbished
Slide 22--Front of depot in Bogalusa as it looked in 1982
Slide 23--Rear of depot in Bogalusa as it looked in 1982
Slide 24--Depot next door
Slide 25--The first commissary building for the Great Southern Lumber Company
Slide 26--The Great Southern Lumber Company commissary as it appeared before it was destroyed by fire. It sold everything from food to caskets. There were offices above it.
Slide 27--Columbia Street as it looked in 1920
Slide 28--Columbia Street as it looked in 1950
Slide 29--Columbia Street as it looked in 1982
Slide 30--Charles Waterhouse Goodyear II, III, and IV standing by a monument to the first C. W. Goodyear. Founders Drive Monument.
Slide 31--Scene of Founder’s Drive
Slide 32--Another scene of Founder’s Drive
Slide 33--Goodyear home on Founder’s Drive
Slide 34--Goodyear home as it looked in 1982. Dr. Newman owns it now.
Slide 35--Home of Bogalusa’s first mayor, William Sullivan
Slide 36--Scene of William Sullivan’s home in 1950s
Slide 37--Scene of William Sullivan’s home in 1982
Slide 38--Side back view of William Sullivan’s home in 1982
Slide 39--Home of upper management built by Great Southern Lumber Company in 1920s. Home now being restored.
Slide 40--Middle management home built by Great Southern Lumber Company in 1920s and 1930s
Slide 41--Bungalows built by Great Southern Lumber Company in 1920s and 1930s
Slide 42--Houses built in the 1920s by Great Southern Lumber Company for blue collar white workers
Slide 43--House built in 1920s and 1930s by Great Southern Lumber Company for the middle class blue white workers
Slides 44-46--Houses built by Great Southern Lumber Company in 1920s for blue collar black workers on the other side of the tracks
Slide 47--First Mrs. Sullivan’s grave, Mother of Bogalusa
Slide 48--Elizabeth Sullivan Hospital and Nurse Training School, the fore-runner of the trade school.. There are a group of nurses standing in front of building.
Slide 49--The Elizabeth Sullivan Hospital and Nurse Training School as it looked in 1982
Slide 50--Elizabeth Sullivan Memorial Training Center built in 1930s
Slide 51--Sign in front of Sullivan Vocational-Technical School
Slide 52--Front view of the Sullivan Vocational-Technical School built in 1969
Slide 53--Side view of the Sullivan Vocational-Technical School built in 1969
Slide 54--Elizabeth F. Sullivan Methodist Church which was built in the 1920s or 1930s
Slide 55--Great Southern Lumber Company office building which was built in the 1920s
Slide 56--The Great Southern Lumber Company office building as it looked until 1970s before it was torn down
Slide 57--The Bogalusa City Hall built in 1914
Slide 58--The YWCA built about 1914
Slide 59--Side view of the YWCA as it looked in 1982
Slide 60--The front view of the YWCA as it looked in 1982
Slide 61--Scene of Mr. Sullivan’s wedding to Ella Salmen. It was a big social event.
Slide 62--Scene of New Orleans photographers in front of Redwood Hotel taking picture of the Sullivan wedding.
Slide 63--Scene of the Redwood Hotel after a fire and general deterioration. Hopes are for restoration soon. Restaurant, barber shop, and disco still in operation.
Slide 64--Scene of an infirmary that Great Southern Lumber Company built and gave the city of Bogalusa. Named Bogalusa Community Medical Center. All Bogalusans could go there for treatment not just Great Southern workers.
Slide 65--Bogalusa Community Medical Center as it looked in 1982
Slide 66--Washington Parish Library in the 1930s
Slide 67--Scene of the Washington Parish Library as it looked in 1982
Slide 68--This building was part of a conglomerate which included the Bogalusa High School and the Elizabeth Sullivan Training Center
Slide 69--Bogalusa High School as it looked in 1930. It was built by the WPA. A fire in 1975 destroyed all but one wing.
Slide 70--This wing of the old Bogalusa High School now houses the Washington Parish Health Unit and the Nellie Byers Training Center for Retarded Adults. The rest of the building was destroyed by fire in 1975.
Slide 71--Bogalusa High School in 1966
Slide 72--Front view of Bogalusa High School as it looked in 1982
Slide 73--Side front view of Bogalusa High School as it looked in 1982
Slide 74--Inside view of the Bogalusa High School Stadium built by WPA in the 1930s. It was a memorial to the first football coach of the Lumberjacks, Gary Dildy.
Slide 75--Outside view of the Bogalusa High School Stadium built by the WPA in the 1930s. It was a memorial to the first football coach of the Lumberjacks, Gary Dildy.
Slide 76--Bogalusa High School Stadium built in 1978 on the site of the Great Southern Lumber Company office building.
Slide 77--Post Office which was built in 1920s by WPA.
Slide 78--First Presbyterian Church built in 1916. Still in original building.
Slide 79--First Baptist Church.
Slide 80--New building of First Baptist Church in 1982.
Slide 81--Sign at entrance to Cassidy Park named for Mr. Jack Cassidy, general manager of Great Southern Lumber Company
Slide 82--Commemorative marker to the founders and workers of Great Southern Lumber Company.
Slide 83--Overall view of Bogalusa in 1930s.