Overview / Program Description
Master of Arts in English
The purpose of the Master of Arts in English at Southeastern is to advance students in the study of British, American, and World literatures, while preparing students for professional opportunities in English, including teaching, writing, doctoral study, and any work demanding complex interpretation and communication skills. Literary Studies constitutes a core area of the program, supported by courses across the globe and the span of history up to today’s poems, novels, plays, and films. Concentrations offer professional development, credentials, and internships in a range of related sub-disciplines: Creative Writing; Language and Literacy (rhetoric and composition; linguistics, ESL); and Professional Writing (business writing, document/Web design).
The graduate degree program in English has several notable strengths:
- Flexibility in personally-designed degree plans, convenient class scheduling (including online courses), and individual advising.
- Graduate faculty in a wide range of specialties, from ancient literatures to contemporary Asian fiction, from renowned novelists and poets to specialists in the teaching of writing. This nationally-known, diverse group of scholar-teachers ensures engagement with recent trends and abiding traditions in the field.
- Concentrations offering professional credentials and internships.
- Preparation for teaching at the college level or doctoral study.
- Graduate instruction in theory, methods, and content for teachers in grades 6-12.
- Rigorous graduate training in creative, critical, and professional writing.
- Background for publishing, public relations, business, and law.
- Graduate Assistantships and Teaching Fellowships for professional development.
All students, in all concentrations, do not have the option to choose thesis or non thesis. A description of the requirements for each degree can be found on the degree requirements page.