Frequently Asked Questions


How do I apply for financial aid?

To apply for federal financial aid, you and your parents, if applicable, need to first apply for a FSA ID at The FSA ID is used to confirm your identity when accessing your financial aid information and electronically signing your federal student aid documents. you should then sumit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at and include Southeastern's school code 002024.

Is my financial aid complete?

Log in to your LEONnet self-service and navigate to your To Do List. We will list any documentation that is required there. Forms may be downloaded

How do I accept my award?

To accept your award, log into your LEONet Self-Service and navigate to Campus Finances, Accept/Decline Awards. You are able to accept the entire amount of aid offered or you can decrease the amount of loans offered to you by updating the amount before accepting/submitting.  For more detailed instructions, Click Here.  

What if I am a first time borrower?

All first time borrowers must complete the Master Promissory Note and the Entrance Counseling at Both of these requirements must be complete in order for loans to disburse to your Student Account.

How does my parent apply for the Parent PLUS Loan?

To apply for a Parent PLUS Loan, your parent will go to and log in with their information. The approved loan will be in their name and they will have to start repayment in 60 days after the loan is fully disbursed. They must also complete the Promissory Note upon approval. If declined the student can receive an additional unsubsidized loan in the student's name. Whether the parent is approved or denied we will need a copy of the credit decision in order to add the appropriate loan to the student's financial aid award package.

What is the difference between the Subsidized and Unsubsizdized student loan?

The subsidized loan is a need-based loan that the federal government pays the interest on while you are in school. For the unsubsidized loan the interest starts to accrue as soon as it is disbursed.

Is there a limit on Direct Subsidized Loan eligibility?

Yes. Students are eligible for Direct Subsidized Loans as an undergraduate, however, the subsidized loan is limited to 150% of the length of their degree program. If the 150% timeframe is met and the student has not received a degree, the subsidized loans will be converted to unsubsidized loans.

How can I apply for scholarships?

Students can log into their LEONet Self-Service and click on Scholarship On-Line Inquiry.

What do I need to do if my circumstances change, for example my parent, spouse or I have had a decrease of income or my parents are now divorced?

These extenuating circumstances should be discussed with your financial aid counselor. You will be required to bring in documentation. You can begin the process by contacting your financial aid counselor through Counselor Request by logging into your LEONet Self-Service, clicking on Campus Finance, Accept/Decline Awards, clicking the current aid year and the link is at the bottom of the page.

 How do I pay for my tuition and housing?

 Once your aid is accepted and the funds are disbursed to the University, monies will be applied first to tuition and then to the remainder of your account balance. If there are funds left over after you balance is paid in full, the remainder will be sent to the student as a refund.