Educational Loans

Loans are a major source of financial aid for many students.  All loans must be repaid. There are several types of loans with different terms, conditions, interest rates, and requirements.

Southeastern Louisiana University offers the following education loan options:

Federal Direct Stafford Loans

Including both Subsidized and Unsubsidized loans, these are education loans in the student's name and are applied for through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). More information and eligibility requirements


Federal Perkins Loans

The Federal Perkins Loan provides a low-interest loan option for upper-class students with demonstrated financial need. Availability of the Federal Perkins Loan is often limited and awarded on a first-come, first-served basis.


Federal PLUS Loans

The Federal Parent PLUS Loan enables parents of dependent undergraduate students with good credit history the opportunity to borrow additional money to cover education expenses. The parent applying for the PLUS loan must be listed on the student's FAFSA.  To apply for a Parent PLUS Loan, the parent must login with his/her Social Security Number and FAFSA pin.


If a parent is not approved for the Parent PLUS Loan, the student may then request to receive additional loan funds in the form of Direct Unsubsidized Loans. To request either a Parent PLUS Loan or the additional Unsubsidized funds, please provide an electronic statement of request on LEONet 'Request Counselor Action'* or complete a File Update Request Form


The Federal Graduate PLUS Loan enables graduate students with good credit history the opportunity to borrow additional money beyond the Federal Direct Stafford Loan to cover education expenses. Apply for a Graduate PLUS Loan


Alternative Loans

Alternative loans are available to students through private lenders. The application for these loans is independent of the FAFSA and is completed by the student.  Alternative Loans have varying eligibility requirements, interest rates, and repayment periods.


*Request Counselor Action can be found on your LEONet account, under Self Service, Campus Finances, Accept or Decline, Aid Year, Request Counselor Action (blue link at bottom). (Available after awarded for aid year.)