Affordable Care Act
AFFORDABLE CARE ACT (ACA)
The ACA became effective October 1, 2013. Please read the information below pertaining to your type of employment to determine how much the ACA may affect you.
Benefits-eligible employees = regular full-time faculty and staff AND regular part-time faculty and staff who work an equivalent of 30 or more hours per week.
Non-Benefits-eligible employees = temporary full-time and part-time staff; lecturers; graduate assistants, student workers, tutors.
- Benefits-eligible employees participating in an OGB health insurance plan While you may be able to get health insurance through the Marketplace, your
OGB plan meets the standards required by the ACA. Because the OGB's plans meet these
standards, you are not eligible for subsidized coverage through the Marketplace. If
you choose a Marketplace plan rather than keeping your current OGB plan, then Southeastern
will no longer make a contribution to your premiums; you would be responsible for
paying the entire premium.
- However, if the cost of the OGB plan that covers you (and not any other members of your family) is more than 9.5% of your household income for the year, you may be eligible for a tax credit. Contact the HR Benefits Section for more information at ext. 2587.
- Benefits-eligible employees NOT participating in an OGB health insurance plan You may be covered under the health plan of your spouse or your parent, or you may
have an individual private health plan. If you do, you will need to complete an ACA
Election Form and submit documentation of your coverage to the HR Benefits Section.
Documentation can include, but is not limited to, a copy of your insurance card, a
letter from the insurance carrier, or a letter from your spouse or parent's employer.
- If you do NOT currently have health insurance, then you may be charged a penalty if you do not enroll in an OGB or Marketplace Health Plan. To access information that can help you make a selection on the health plan that best fits your situation, visit Healthcare.gov.
- Non-benefits eligible employees Even though you are not eligible for health insurance through Southeastern, you may still take advantage of the Marketplace to find an affordable health insurance plan that fits your needs. Please visit healthcare.gov or call 1-800-318-2596 to find out more information about the various plans and to enroll in a plan.
If you would like more information on the ACA, then please click on the links below.
Department of Labor Notice – notification and employer requirements
Office of Group Benefits notice – explains the health insurance marketplace and how you are affected if you currently have health insurance through OGB
Healthcare.gov – Run by the federal government, this site offers a comparison tool, answers to frequently asked questions, and the opportunity to enroll in insurance through the Marketplace.
LHEC.net – The Louisiana Healthcare Education Coalition, led by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Louisisana, provides this site with information about the ACA, the Marketplace, and links to articles and resources that can help you understand the new option.
KFF.org/health-reform – The Kaiser Family Foundation site provides a calculator that estimates how a Marketplace plan could impact your family.