Employees hired on a job appointment are temporary employees.
Persons on job appointments do not attain permanent status and may
be separated by the employing agency at any time. They can earn and
take both annual and sick leave and may be eligible for insurance
if they are appointed for 120 or more days with a regular tour of
duty. They may be required to work overtime and shall be
compensated at the appropriate overtime rate. A job appointment may
be made for a period up to but not exceeding three years. The
employee on a job appointment is not eligible for funeral leave.
These employees must maintain the appropriate Civil Service test
scores to maintain eligibility to be reappointed. This means they
will have to test annually.
Job Appointments can last up to three years and employees are eligible for the following benefits:
- FICA tax withheld (6.2% OASDI), not eligible for LASERS, unless they are already vested from previous employment or they are appointed for three years
- Medicare tax (1.45%) withheld if hired 4/1/86 or after
- Earn annual and sick leave, not eligible for funeral leave
- Eligible for holiday pay, special leave, civil leave
- Eligible for insurance if appointed for 120 days or longer and work 30 or more hours per week
- Can be paid overtime, can earn compensatory leave
- At will employee
- Paid bi-weekly