J-1 Student Employment

On-Campus Employment

Students on the J-1 visa are generally permitted to work on campus. The work is limited to 20 hours per week while school is in session or full time during official breaks and vacation periods.

There are two types of student worker positions on campus-federal and state. International students who are here on a visa are only allowed to work under state student worker positions.

To search for on campus positions, you must access the Student Employment Network. Once you have found a position, you will need to obtain a Work Study packet from the Work Study Office. They are located on North Campus in the Financial Aid Building.

You will then need to bring to the ISO a letter from your prospective employer stating that they are hiring you for a state student worker position. We will then issue you a work permit for you to return to the Work Study office along with your completed Work Study packet. A letter will also be issued for you to bring to the Social Security Office if you do not already have a Social Security Number.


Off-Campus Employment

Work permission for off campus sites is called Academic Training. Academic Training is an opportunity to work in the U.S. in your field and level of study. Students may apply for Academic Training for part-time work during the Fall and/or Spring semesters, part-time or full-time during the summer semester, and full time after the completion of your program.

Most J1 exchange students will be eligible to apply for 18 months of Academic Training. You must apply for Academic Training with a job offer PRIOR to the completion of your program. Please make an appointment with the ISO to apply and bring the Academic Training Employment Recommendation Form and your offer letter form your employer on company letter head.