Social Security Numbers


Social Security Numbers

Any F1 or J1 student who will be employed by Southeastern or who has received USCIS authorization to work for another employer in the US must apply for a Social Security Number. Receipt of this number will help to ensure that you are paid in a timely manner. It can take up to three weeks to obtain the number so you are encouraged to apply as soon as you have all required documentation. You must have been in the US for a minimum of 10 days before being eligible to apply. To obtain an application, please visit the Social Security Administration's website.


Documents required of F1 students:
1. Completed Social Security Application
2. Valid original letter from the ISO at Southeastern stating eligibility for an SSN.    Please send a reuest for this letter by emailing
3. Letter from hiring department that must match this template Department Letter
4. Original I-20
5. Passport
6. F1 entry visa (located in passport) OR if no F1 visa, I-797 approval notice
7. I-94 admission number (Go to to obtain number)


Documents required of J1 students:
1. Completed Social Security Application
2. Valid original letter s as stated above for F1 students from both the    ISO and hiring department.3. Original DS-2019
4. Passport
5. J1 entry visa OR I-797 approval notice
6. I-94 admission number (Go to to obtain number)


All of the above documents should be brought to the Social Security Office. They are located at 2100 Robin Ave, Hammond, LA 70403.


Other Visa Types:
Social Security numbers are only available to those who are eligible for employment in the US. Therefore, anyone who is not eligible for employment is NOT eligible for a Social Security Number (no exceptions). These individuals may instead apply for an Individual Tax Payer Identification Number (ITIN).
For information and instructions to apply for an ITIN, please see below or and enter “ITIN” in the search field. 

After you receive your Social Security Number, you must supply a copy to the Work Study Office, your employer (if off campus), and keep it in a safe place. It is not advisable to carry the Social Security card with you in your wallet in case it is lost or stolen because of the possibility of identity theft.


Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)

An ITIN is a tax processing number issued by the IRS to certain resident and non-resident aliens, their spouses and dependents. It is available to persons required to have a tax identification number for tax purposes but who do not have, and are not eligible to obtain a Social Security Number (SSN). Furthermore, an individual who is eligible for an SSN is not eligible for an ITIN.


Most individuals only need to apply for an ITIN when they are filing their yearly tax returns for the first time, claiming a tax treaty, when income is reported to the IRS on a 1042-S, etc.


How to Apply

Applications for an ITIN and additional information can be found at

-- Complete a Form W-7 with attachments
-- Supporting Identification Documents: prove foreign status and identity. IRS accepts 13 documents as proof but only a valid (unexpired) passport provides proof for both foreign status and identity. Photocopies must be notarized by a notary public or attorney. -- If filing with other forms, mail all documents to the address provided in the W-7