Travel Information for F-1 and J-1 Students

Travel Outside of the United States

The following information is intended to serve as an overview for all current international students and scholars. It is recommended that you see the ISO before making any travel plans.

All foreign nationals entering the US for the first time will need to apply for an entry visa at a US Consulate or Embassy. Any continuing Southeastern international student whose visa has expired will need to apply for a new visa in order to return to the US. Likewise, your passports must also remain valid.

Canadian citizens are not required to have the visa stamp in their passport. However, all F1 and J1 Canadian citizens must provide the SEVIS fee payment receipt for their initial entry into the US.

Before leaving the United States for travel between semesters, all F1 and J1 visa holders must visit the ISO to have their I-20/DS-2019 endorsed for travel. When traveling, always be sure to have your endorsed I-20/DS-2019, I-94 card, and passport with you at all times. If you are on OPT, you must also carry your valid EAD card.

If your visa or passport is out of date, please see the Immigration Information page on how to reapply for those documents and other requirements.


Travel Inside of the United States
A student on the F-1 or J-1 visa does not need to have their I-20 or DS-2019 endorsed for travel within the U.S. However, it is highly recommended that you carry at all times your I-20/DS-2019, I-94 card, and passport with visa stamp.


If you have any questions or concerns while traveling in the U.S., please consult the ISO.