Violence Prevention

Domestic violence, dating violence, stalking, and sexual assault are prohibited at
Southeastern Louisiana University and satellite campuses.

rectangle hands

Southeastern Louisiana University is committed to maintaining a safe environment that
is conducive to learning in which no member of the University community is subjected
to power based violence, sexual misconduct, or any form of abusive behavior.

The University will not ignore any act of power based violence, sexual misconduct,
or abuse and encourages individuals who suspect that they have become subject or witness
to such an act to contact the University Police Department (985-549-2222).

Power Based Violence & Sexual Misconduct Policy

What is considered an act of violence?

Every member of the community should be aware that the University prohibits domestic violence, dating violence, stalking, cyberstalking, sexual misconduct, assault
and harassmen
t as defined in the Sexual Misconduct Policy.

What do I do if I have been assaulted?

Immediately after an assault:
We encourage you to report the act of violence immediately; you may call:
University Police at 985-549-2222 or call 911, if off campus
• Preserve all evidence of the incident. Do not bathe, wash your hands, brush your teeth, eat, smoke, and refrain from urination.
• If you are still in the location at which the crime occurred, do not clean or straighten
up or remove anything as this could contaminate the scene and investigation.
• Write down all the details you can recall about the incident and the offender.
Seeking Medical Attention: (e.g., EMS, Urgent Care)
  • Receive help for physical injuries
  • Screen for STDs/pregnancy.
  • Hospital staff can collect evidence using a rape kit.
  • If you suspect you have been drugged, request that a urine sample be collected to
    preserve evidence.
  • If you want to file a police report, you can call the police from the emergency room.
  • Ask about the nearest rape crisis center.
Following an incident:
  • Recognize that healing from an act of violence takes time. Give yourself the time
    you need and know that it is never too late to get help.
  • Know that what happened was not your fault.
  • Recovery is an ongoing gradual process.
  • Take care of your physical and emotional well-being.
  • Talk to a counselor. The University Counseling Center is available for you at no charge for enrolled students. They are experienced in
    helping individuals who have been sexually assaulted. They are familiar with the physiological
    and psychological effects that traumatic events cause. They can help you work through
    your emotions and teach you coping skills.
  • Try to eat well, get enough sleep, and exercise.
  • Reach out to your personal support network of friends and family.
Again, remember that it was not your fault and you are not alone.

How do I file a complaint?

Complaints of misconduct against a student may be filed by any member of the University

It is important to know that you have the right to report or not report crimes of
violence; however, we strongly encourage you to report acts of violence and harassment
such as sexual assault, rape, physical assault, hazing, sexual harassment, and stalking

This helps to provide a safe environment for you and others on campus.

Reporting Options:

  • Call University Police, 985-549-2222 or call 911, if off-campus.
  • All members of the University community are encouraged to contact the Title IX Officer, 985-549-5888, if they  observe  or  encounter  conduct  that  may  be  subject 
    to  this  policy.
  • Submit a complaint/report to the Office of Student Advocacy and Accountability, Report It!.
  • A  complaint  of  sexual  misconduct  when  a  University employee  is  the  accused
    may  be  brought  to  the  Human  Resources Department,
    (985) 549-2001, which will promptly inform the Title IX Officer of the complaint.
  • An individual may report alleged sexual misconduct to a Responsible Employee or any employee serving in an administrative role at the University.  Responsible Employees must report the incident to the  Title 
    IX  Officer.  No  employee  is  authorized  to  investigate  or  resolve complaints 
    without  the  involvement  of  the  Title  IX  Officer.  Responsible employees shall
    include all administrators, unclassified staff, and resident assistants. 
  • Individuals  who  choose  to file anonymous reports are  advised  that  it may  be  very  difficult  for  the  University  to  follow 
    up  and/or  take  action  on anonymous reports, where corroborating information is
  • University Counseling Center  is available for you at no charge for enrolled students. Confidential Advisors are
    not be obligated to report crimes to the institution or law enforcement in a way that
    identifies an alleged victim or an accused individual, unless otherwise required to
    do so by law.
  • For confidential help 24/7, Contact the National Sexual Assault Hotline 1-800-656-HOPE (4673) or visit RAINN.

If I file a complaint will it remain confidential?

Understanding Confidentiality: 

When considering reporting options,  complainants  should  be  aware  that  certain 
University  personnel  can maintain strict confidentiality, while others have mandatory
reporting and response obligations. 

Not all campus reporting authorities, i.e. Resident Assistants, Area Coordinators,
Faculty, Staff, UPD, Counselors, Healthcare Professionals, are equally confidential
and fall under three categories; strictly confidential, mostly confidential, and anonymous.

Strictly Confidential. These resources offer services under the strictest of confidence; nothing will be shared without your written permission, except in extreme circumstances. An exception is when the health provider believes
that you are a danger to yourself or others, i.e. suicidal or homicidal tendencies.

Strictly Confidential Resources on Campus: The following individuals are not required
to report information about an incident to the Title IX Officer without a complainant’s 
permission. Non-reporters  include  physical  and  mental  health professionals, including
licensed counselors who provide mental health counseling to members of the University
community and those who act under the supervision
of a health care employee.

• The University Counseling Center is available for you at no charge for enrolled students, call 985-549-3894, located
in the Student Union Annex, North Entrance.

University Health Center, 985-549-5718, located in the Student Union Annex, South Entrance.
• For confidential help 24/7, contact the National Sexual Assault Hotline 1-800-656-HOPE (4673) or visit RAINN.

Mostly Confidential. Employees  Who  Must  Report – Responsible  Employees.  A  responsible employee who receives a report of sexual misconduct must report
to the Title IX Officer  all  relevant  details  about  the  alleged  sexual  misconduct 
shared  by  the complainant.  A responsible  employee  should  not  share  information 
with  law enforcement without the complainant’s consent, or unless the complainant
has also reported the misconduct to law enforcement. These resources are kept confidential,
but may be required to share information to specific campus authorities; i.e. UPD,
Housing, OSC, so that they may perform their duties, offer resources, accommodations,
and/or take action to provide a safe campus environment. If you are concerned about confidentiality, ask the person you want to talk to first
about his/her obligation to disclose information you share.

Anonymous. Anonymous reporting is an option through the University Police Department, but should
not be used in emergency situations. Learn more about Anonymous Reporting.

What happens after I file an official complaint with the Office of Student Advocacy
and Accountability?

Any student of the University community who is alleged to have engaged in sexual misconduct
or any abusive behavior will be subject to disciplinary action as outlined in Article
VI of the Student Code of Conduct.


Order of Conduct Process:

1. Complaint received

2. Conference with complainant/victim

3. Notice of Charge sent to respondent

4. Disciplinary Conference with respondent

5. Formal Hearing conducted

6. Notice of Hearing Outcome*

*In cases of sexual assault and/or physical violence, the complainant shall also be
informed simultaneously of the determination.

7. Option to Appeal

What are my rights as a victim?

In disciplinary proceedings, the University affords additional rights to student victims of acts of violence and
harassment such as sexual assault, rape, physical assault, hazing, sexual harassment,
and stalking/cyberstalking:

1. To be informed of available accommodations both on and off campus (i.e. notified
of available counseling, changing academic and living arrangements);

2. To have a campus no contact order against the alleged student;
3. To have a hearing board comprised of representatives of both genders;
4. To have unrelated past behavior excluded from the hearing (i.e. irrelevant prior
sexual history);

5. To testify with special accommodations (i.e. by phone, behind a screen, video,

6. To have no direct contact with the accused student during the hearing (i.e. questions
from the accused student would be posed through the Board Chairperson and then relayed
to the victim or an appointed Confidential Advisor may speak on the student’s behalf);

7. To provide questions to the Board Chairperson prior to or during the hearing that
she/he may incorporate those into questioning the accused student;

8. To be informed of the names of all witnesses who will be called to give testimony;
9. To have an advisor present at all proceedings; in cases of Title IX offenses, a
Confidential Advisor is required.

10. To request a recess during the hearing;
11. To be informed of outcome of the discipline process, simultaneously with the responding

12. To appeal the Hearing Board’s decision as defined in Article VII, Section A of
the Code of Student Conduct.

Do I have the right to request accommodations?

The University affords the right to request accommodations to student victims of acts
of violence and harassment such as sexual assault, rape, physical assault, hazing,
sexual harassment, and stalking; which may include:

  • Change in academic classes
  • Change in residential living arrangement/assignment
  • Transport or escort on campus
  • Counseling/Advocacy Services/Confidential Advisor
  • Academic Advising
  • Health Services

Please contact the Dean of Students office or the Title IX coordinator.

How can I help someone?

Friends and family can offer support by listening, keeping the victim company, walking
to class, or going to appointments.

Campus health centers can provide health services and help find additional health

The University Counseling Center provides free counseling services to enrolled students.

Local rape crisis center staff is experienced with how to help you. They can help
you make choices about reporting an assault, joining a support group or finding a

Bystander Intervention:
Anyone witnessing an act of domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, or
stalking should take safe, positive action to prevent harm or otherwise intervene.
Examples of safe, positive action include, but are not limited to contacting the police
(such reports may be made confidentially) and assisting the victim to a safe location
away from the harmful person or event. Because situations vary from one incident to
the next, no comprehensive list of actions can be provided, but bystanders are encouraged
to act in a manner which is not likely to escalate a situation or bring harm upon
the bystander.

 Additional Resources:

Become an active part of the solution at Southeastern!
Report It
1Government, U. S. (2014). Not Alone. Students. Washington, DC. Retrieved from
2RAINN, ©. (2009). Help a Loved One. Washington, DC. Retrieved from
3University, S. L. (2014). Southeastern Student Handbook. Hammond, Louisiana, USA.
Retrieved from