Southeastern continues to monitor guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and the Louisiana Governor's Office related to COVID-19. Given guidance to avoid large group assemblies, Southeastern will not hold Spring Commencement on May 16, 2020, as originally scheduled. Instead, based on input from student leaders, a Summer Commencement ceremony will be scheduled for late summer 2020 to celebrate the accomplishments of both Spring and Summer graduates.
Spring graduates will receive their diplomas via mail along with details about Summer Commencement.
Although we are disappointed to delay this special event for our graduates, we look forward to the opportunity to celebrate their outstanding accomplishments at a time when it is safe to do so.
Watch the ceremony online on the Southeastern Channel’s live stream.
Maps, Parking, Shuttle
Parking: Complimentary parking is available in all campus parking lots to guests attending the commencement ceremony. Guests walking from South Campus to the University Center should utilize the tunnel for the safest route.
Accessible parking at the University Center is limited and is on a first-come basis. Please note that disabled plates and/or hang tags are required to secure space in lots reserved for accessible commencement parking.
Shuttle: A complimentary commencement shuttle will be available on to transport guests from (the Gen Pershing and Univ/Oak Street parking lots) to the University Center. The shuttle will operate before and following the ceremony. One (1) bus will have wheelchair accessibility.
Map: To assist with planning, shuttle stops, suggested parking lots, and traffic routes are noted below.
The doors to the University Center will be opened for guests at least one hour before the start of the ceremony. We kindly ask that you refrain from saving seats out of consideration for other guests. Seating is available on a first-come basis so groups should plan to arrive early to find seats together.
Commencement is a ceremonious occasion honoring your student’s accomplishments. Decorum and courtesy are important to you, as well as to all degree candidates and their families. Guests and graduates are encouraged to remain for the duration of the ceremony.
- Once seated, all participants are expected to stay until the conclusion of the ceremony.
- Cell phones and other electronic devices should be silenced.
- Candidates should plan to meet their guests outside the University Center as guests are not allowed on the arena floor or stage.
- Southeastern maintains the historic tradition of each degree candidate shaking hands with the President as his/her name is called. The last degree candidate is as important as the first so we ask guests to be considerate and keep celebratory applause to a minimum so that each graduate’s name can be heard.
For security purposes, all commencement attendees are asked to limit the handbags, camera bags, and tote bags they bring with them to only those that are absolutely necessary. All articles brought into the facility will be subject to search, and this may delay attendees from entering the University Center.
To ensure a safe and comfortable Commencement, the following items are strictly prohibited from being brought into the University Center:
- Containers of any kind (including but not limited to coolers, thermoses, cups, bottles, cans, flasks)
- Aerosol and spray cans
- Animals (except for service animals for persons with a disability)
- Balloons and beach balls
- Alcoholic Beverages
- Signs, banners, and flags
- Laser pointers
- Noisemakers (including but not limited to whistles, air horns, bull horns, sirens, thunder sticks, etc.)
- Confetti, glitter, streamers, and silly string
- Fireworks, party poppers, and sparklers
Inclement Weather Policy
We are hopeful that Mother Nature will cooperate in the celebration, but as the 2017 snow day proved, inclement weather is possible. To ensure a safe commencement, the following plans are in place:
- The ceremony is scheduled to take place rain or shine. Given the size of the gathering, it’s not feasible to move the ceremony to an alternate date.
- In the event of severe weather, the ceremony may be delayed, paused, or canceled. The safety of our guests is our highest priority.
- If a schedule adjustment is required prior to your arrival, information will be shared via email, social media (facebook.com/southeastern, Instagram.com/oursoutheastern, twitter.com/oursoutheastern), website, and local news media.
- At the venue, instructions will be given via the stage announcer. Graduates and guests are asked to listen for announcements and remain seated until otherwise instructed.
The commencement ceremony will be fully accessible. Accessible seating will be available for individuals with disabilities or guests with limited mobility. ASL interpreters will be on site in a designated area. Guests who utilize sign language interpreting services should sit in sections 114 and 115.
If you or anyone in your party is in need of accessible seating or assistance, we recommend arriving early as the seating will be determined on a first-come basis. Accessible seating is limited to only those guests who require it. The seats will be for the person with accessible needs and for one companion. No pre-ticketing will occur for accessible seating.
Wheelchair Seating Locations
Wheelchair and wheelchair companion locations are scattered throughout the main level concourse 100 level at sections 104, 109 and 110.
Street-level entry to the building is through Gate 4 on the north side of facility. Passenger elevator with priority for persons with disabilities are available at gate 5, near section 111/112.
The public restrooms are accessible and all contain diaper-changing stations.
The concession stand is accessible.
Messages and Emergency Information
In case of an emergency, the ASL interpreter will alert the deaf and those hard of hearing. Emergency messages will be announced from the stage via the announcer.
HOTELS AND RESTAURANTS
To plan your weekend in Hammond, go to www.tangitourism.com. Enjoy your time in beautiful Hammond, America!