Saturday, December 18, 2021
10 a.m. and 3 p.m.
800 West University Avenue
Please note that Southeastern Louisiana University is bound by the University of Louisiana System guidelines as well as guidance from the CDC, at present time indoor masking remains. Southeastern continues to monitor these guidelines and changes may occur in the event that guidelines change.
At this time, graduates and guests can expect the following:
- No guest tickets will be issued or required for entry
- ALL in attendance will be required to wear masks
- Graduates should plan to meet their guests outside of the University Center at the end of the ceremony
The Commencement Committee congratulates all candidates! We hope that Commencement will be a rewarding experience for you and your family and friends. As no practice for Commencement Exercises is possible, we present the following instructions for your information.
College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences, College of Education, & College of Science and Technology
9:00 a.m. Candidates for degrees assemble in caps and gowns on Lower Level of the University Center.
10:00 a.m. Procession begins
College of Business & College of Nursing and Health Sciences
2:00 p.m. Candidates for degrees assemble in caps and gowns on Lower Level of the University Center.
3:00 p.m. Procession begins
Caps and Gowns
All graduates participating in Commencement are required to purchase commencement regalia from the Southeastern Louisiana University Bookstore. In addition to caps and gowns, graduates may purchase graduation announcements, personalized name cards, class rings, and diploma plaques. The University Bookstore is open from 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday-Thursday and 7:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Friday. For further assistance, call 985-549-5393 or email email@example.com.
Due to parking limitations, candidates should arrive early. Parking will be available in lots around the University Center on a first-come basis. Graduates and guests parking on south campus should utilize the shuttle or tunnel. Carpooling is strongly encouraged.
During the ceremony, graduates and guests may access and view the Commencement Program on a smartphone. QR codes are posted in various locations throughout the University Center. Scan the QR code and download the program.
Graduates may obtain up to 2 printed programs at no charge prior to the ceremony by visiting The Document Source Print & Mail center located in the Student Union or by firstname.lastname@example.org. There will be a $3.00 charge per each program ordered beyond a quantity of two programs. These programs may be picked up during normal operating hours the week prior to Commencement (December 13 - 17).
Programs are available to be ordered following the Holiday break. Again, up to 2 programs can be ordered at no charge. There will be a $3.00 charge per each program ordered beyond a quantity of two programs. The Document Source can mail programs at an additional charge of $5.00 per program.
Please include the following information in all email correspondence:
Number of programs requested (two will be provided at no charge)
Pickup or shipped? (If requesting shipping, the Document Source will call for payment of shipping charges prior to mailing.)
Please contact the Document Source at (985) 549-5565 with any questions.
Prior to entering the venue, candidates of a College will be lined up in alphabetical order by degree, presented with a "reader card" and, if appropriate, presented with an honor stole. Candidates will be led by their dean and reader through the hallway and down the stairs to the arena. They will proceed to their seats as directed by Marshals.
Candidates will leave the venue as directed by the Marshals and are escorted out of the University Center arena.
The President of the University will confer degrees en masse. Following this and upon a signal from the Marshals, the reader and candidates in each College will proceed in single file to the side of the stage where candidates will provide their "reader card," ascend the stairs, cross the stage as their names are called, receive their diploma covers, take photo with University President, proceed to photo area for solo portrait picture, and return to their seats from the outside of the row. Doctoral students should bring their hood to the stage with them (hooding instructions instructions).
To help ensure you have the best commencement day possible, please let us know if you need any type of accommodation during the ceremony. Below are some examples of the accommodations that are available to you and/or your guests. If you would benefit from one of the accommodations or an accommodation that is not listed below, please call 985-549-2244 or 1-800-222-7358 or email email@example.com
No matter the accommodation, you are welcome to join us at the commencement rehearsal usually held the day before the commencement exercises begin. There will be no rehearsals with guests. We will confirm the date and time of the rehearsal when you notify us about an accommodation.
Deaf/HOH interpreters for students and guests
Deaf/HOH interpreters are always in attendance at the commencement ceremonies. However, we will work with you to make sure you and/or your guests have an uninterrupted view of the interpreters.
Blind or low vision
Contact us if you would like the opportunity to check out the seating/stage layout, to locate the student lineup area and to tell us how you would like us to assist you on commencement day.
Mobility assistance for students
Contact us if you would like to check out the stairs or wheelchair lift to the stage and the path to receive your diploma cover on stage.
As your name is called, you will go onto the stage to receive your diploma cover. Will you need assistance climbing four steps? Would you like to attend rehearsal to see the steps?
University Police will be on duty to provide assistance in the event of an emergency.
Photographs of graduates will be taken during the ceremony by a commercial photography service. Each student will be contacted directly by the company for order placement and free proofs. Individuals will not be allowed on the field of the stadium to take personal photographs.
Mailing of Diplomas
Diplomas will be mailed on December 23, 2021. To notify the Office of the Registrar of a change in diploma address, send a letter stating your correct address to Office of the Registrar, SLU 10752, Hammond, LA 70402 or visit NCMA, room 122 or email us at Gradapp@southeastern.edu. (The Alumni Office provides mini-diplomas at Lion4Life Launch Party)
The University will present stoles to honor graduates who are receiving a baccalaureate degree or an associate's degree. Honor graduates are students who have an overall grade point average of 3.500 or better. Questions regarding stoles should be directed to personnel involved in lining up candidates.
Commencement Dress Do's and Don'ts:
- Leave bags at home. No security is provided for items unattended.
- Dress comfortably. Candidates will be at Southeastern for a minimum of three hours; the event is a combination of walking, standing and sitting so dress comfortably for all.
- All candidates should wear dark shoes.
- Men should wear shirt and tie, dark dress slacks.
- If wearing heels, please consider a shoe that you are comfortable standing in for a long period of time, to include walking up and down stairs and across the stage.
- No shorts, jeans, or beach sandals should be worn.
- Robes should be zipped closed.
- Don't forget your regalia!
Special Notes and Tips:
- Set an alarm or have a buddy system to make sure you arrive on time.
- Proper decorum is expected of all participants. Noisemakers, confetti, and other similar objects are disruptive to the ceremony and are not permitted.
- Any excessive decorations on gowns or mortarboards are distracting and therefore inappropriate.
- Only University-approved stoles, cords, ribbons or medals associated with academic honors or membership in Phi Kappa Phi or the Thirteen Club may be worn with the cap and gown. Students may be asked to remove any adornment that is deemed inappropriate by a commencement official.
- Candidates may not carry any personal items in the processional, including cell phones, video cameras and other electronic devices. No security is provided for these items if left unattended.
- Alcoholic beverages are strictly prohibited in and around the University Center. Food and drinks of any kind are not allowed.
- The cap tassel for faculty and graduates is to the left front. For undergraduates, the tassel is right front then shifted to the left after receiving diploma.
- Commencement Exercises will last approximately one hour. Out of respect for all degree candidates, all participants are expected to remain for the entire ceremony.
- Plan in advance where to meet your family afterwards. Graduates are escorted out of the Stadium following the ceremony.
- Enjoy the day!