SPRING 2021 COMMENCEMENT
May 18th & 19th
9:00 AM & 6:00 PM
- All in attendance will be required to wear masks and maintain social distance
- Graduates are asked to limit invited guests to three (3) individuals
- Only guests with a ticket will gain entrance into the stadium. All ceremonies will continue to be live-streamed so that loved ones not in attendance may observe the ceremonies in "real time".
The Commencement Committee congratulates all candidates! We hope that Commencement will be a rewarding experience for you and your family and friends. As no practice for Commencement Exercises is possible, we present the following instructions for your information.
College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences - Tuesday, May 18
8:00 a.m. - Candidates for Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences degrees assemble in caps and gowns on first floor of Strawberry Stadium Parking Garage.
9:00 a.m. - Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences candidates promptly begin procession into Strawberry Stadium.
College of Business - Tuesday, May 18
5:00 p.m. - Candidates for Business degrees assemble in caps and gowns on first floor of Strawberry Stadium Parking Garage.
6:00 p.m. - Business candidates promptly begin procession into Strawberry Stadium.
College of Nursing and Health Sciences - Wednesday, May 19
8:00 a.m. - Candidates for Nursing and Health Sciences degrees assemble in caps and gowns on first floor of Strawberry Stadium Parking Garage.
9:00 a.m. - Nursing and Health Sciences candidates promptly begin procession into Strawberry Stadium.
College of Education and College of Science and Technology - Wednesday, May 19
5:00 p.m. - Candidates for Education & Science and Technology degrees assemble in caps and gowns on first floor of Strawberry Stadium Parking Garage.
6:00 p.m. - Education & Science and Technology candidates promptly begin procession into Strawberry Stadium.
Caps and Gowns
All graduates participating in Commencement are required to purchase commencement regalia from the Southeastern Louisiana University Bookstore. In addition to caps and gowns, graduates may purchase graduation announcements, personalized name cards, class rings, and diploma plaques. The University Bookstore is open from 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday-Thursday and 7:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Friday. For further assistance, call 985-549-5393 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Candidates should arrive early. Parking will be available in lots around Strawberry Stadium.
Prior to entering the stadium, candidates of a College will be lined up in alphabetical order by degree, presented with a "reader card" and, if appropriate, presented with an honor stole. Candidates will be led by their dean and reader onto the stadium field. They will proceed to their seats as directed by Marshals.
Candidates will leave the field as directed by the Marshals and are escorted out of Strawberry Stadium.
The President of the University will confer degrees en masse. Following this and upon a signal from the Marshals, the reader and candidates in each College will proceed in single file to the side of the stage where candidates will scan their "reader card," ascend the stairs, cross the stage as their names are called, receive their diploma covers (there will be no handshake) , take photo with University President, proceed to photo area for solo portrait picture, and return to their seats from the outside of the row. Doctoral students will wear their hood (due to COVID-19).
Candidates requiring special accommodations should contact the Office of the Registrar at 985-549-2244 or 1-800-222-SELU (7358) prior to the week of Commencement. An accessible ramp is available to access the commencement stage.
University Police and Acadian Ambulance will be on duty to provide assistance in the event of an emergency.
Photographs of graduates will be taken during the ceremony by a commercial photography service. Each student will be contacted directly by the company for order placement and free proofs. Individuals will not be allowed on the field of the stadium to take personal photographs.
Mailing of Diplomas
Diplomas will be mailed on June 11, 2021. To notify the Office of the Registrar of a change in diploma address, send a letter stating your correct address to Office of the Registrar, SLU 10752, Hammond, LA 70402 or visit NCFA, room 122 or email us at Gradapp@southeastern.edu. (The Alumni Office provides mini-diplomas at Lion4Life Launch Party)
The University will present stoles to honor graduates who are receiving a baccalaureate degree or an associate's degree. Honor graduates are students who have an overall grade point average of 3.500 or better. Questions regarding stoles should be directed to personnel involved in lining up candidates.
Commencement Dress Do's and Don'ts:
- Leave bags at home. No security is provided for items unattended.
- Dress comfortably. Candidates will be at Southeastern for a minimum of three hours; the event is a combination of standing and sitting so dress comfortably for both.
- All candidates should wear dark shoes.
- Men should wear shirt and tie, dark dress slacks.
- Stilettos are not permitted on the stadium turf.
- No shorts, jeans, or beach sandals should be worn.
- Robes should be zipped closed.
- Don't forget your regalia!
Special Notes and Tips:
- Set an alarm or have a buddy system to make sure you arrive on time.
- Proper decorum is expected of all participants. Noisemakers, confetti, and other similar objects are disruptive to the ceremony and are not permitted.
- Any excessive decorations on gowns or mortarboards are distracting and therefore inappropriate.
- Only University-approved stoles, cords, ribbons or medals associated with academic honors or membership in Phi Kappa Phi or the Thirteen Club may be worn with the cap and gown. Students may be asked to remove any adornment that is deemed inappropriate by a commencement official.
- Candidates may not carry any personal items in the processional, including cell phones, video cameras and other electronic devices. No security is provided for these items if left unattended.
- Alcoholic beverages are strictly prohibited in and around Strawberry Stadium. Food and drinks of any kind are not allowed.
- The cap tassel for faculty and graduates is to the left front. For undergraduates, the tassel is right front then shifted to the left after receiving diploma.
- Commencement Exercises will last approximately one hour. Out of respect for all degree candidates, all participants are expected to remain for the entire ceremony.
- Plan in advance where to meet your family afterwards. Graduates are escorted out of the Stadium following the ceremony.
- Enjoy the day!