Students, faculty inducted into Southeastern's Phi Kappa Phi National Honor Society
Tuesday, May 12, 2015
by: Rene Abadie
Cutlines are listed at the bottom of the release.
HAMMOND – Southeastern Louisiana University inducted nearly 60 undergraduate
and graduate students and members of the faculty and alumni recently into its chapter
of the prestigious national honor society, Phi Kappa Phi.
At the society’s annual induction banquet, awards for outstanding junior students from Southeastern’s five colleges were presented to Rebekah Katherine Wall of Slidell, College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Emma Larmann of Hammond, College of Business; Leanna Moore of Metairie, College of Education; Carley Marie Short of Prairieville, College of Nursing and Health Sciences; and Christopher Alexander of Amite, College of Science and Technology.
Recognized with the Outstanding Freshman Award was Chloe D’Aquin of Baton Rouge, while Josie Serigne of Ponchatoula was named Outstanding Honor Student. Suyogya Karki of Hammond was awarded the Phi Kappa Phi Lou Ballard Endowed Scholarship, and Suraj Ayer of Hammond was named National Fellowship Applicant.
The honors organization also inducted several members of the Southeastern faculty and staff, including alumni Sally S. Carlisle and Terry Brown Sr., both of Covington, and Paulette Poche of Ponchatoula. Faculty members inducted included Glen J. Hemberger of Greensburg, Charlotte Humphries of Hammond; Dorothy Nelson and Edward T. Nelson of Madisonville; and Lilllian Stiegler of Saint Amant.
To be considered for membership in the organization, a student must be in the top 10 percent of their senior or graduate class or a second semester junior in the top 7.5 percent of his or her class.
This year’s Phi Kappa Phi initiates and award winners are listed by parish and city.
Prairieville: Carley Short, Monica L. Sciomo.
St. Amant: Faculty member Lillian N. Stiegler.
EAST BATON ROUGE
Baton Rouge: Faith M. Allen, Quinley M. Arceneaux, April Arceneaux, and Leanna A. Moore, Faculty member Lorinda Sealey.
Greenwell Springs: Beth Hidalgo.
Ethel: Hannah M. Furlan
Metairie: Chloe D’Aquin.
Jennings: Kevin McNeill.
Denham Springs: Quinley M. Arceneaux, Bodie Dufrene.
Holden: Jenna McHugh.
Walker: Kevin Bokun, Jessica Williams, Tammy Windmann, Cory A. Zunker and Faculty member Mindy Crain-Dorough.
Monroe: Amanda M. Piacun.
Destrehan: Joseph Edwards.
Des Allemands: Caitlin E. Dupuy.
St. Rose: Pedro Vinson.
Greensburg: Faculty Glen J. Hemberger.
Covington: Anthony Bellina, Jason McNeill, Judith W. Reddy, Marissa Akeroyd and Faculty member Jacqueline Guendouzi.
Folsom: Kevin T. Bokun, Ignaius H. Bonck, Christy Calhoon, Sabine Cannon, Helen Carter, and Michelle Doescher and Alumni Terry Brown Sr. and Sally Carlisle.
Mandeville: Naresh Neupane, Allison Ostendorf, Faculty member Stacy Garcia.
Madisonville: Faculty members Dorothy Nelson and Edward T. Nelson.
Slidell: Brent D. Wagner, Katherine G. Wall, Karlie Wheat.
Amite: April Assavedo, Christopher Alexander.
Hammond: Caleb G. Holloway, Rachel Huffty, Amy Jordan Suyogya Karki, Januka Khanal, Savannah Klier, Alexis LaPlante, Emma Larmann, Kendarrioius Lewis, Samantha Matherne and Faculty member Charlotte Humphries.
Ponchatoula: Staff Paulette Poche, Tiffinee Rhodus, Angelle Roddy, Ashley Salario, Megan C. Saybe, Binit Sharma Poudel, Josie Serigne.
Robert: Cory A. Prevost.
Evans: Ashley E. Guillot.
Franklinton: Amy Hall, Bailey Hall.
PHOTO CUTLINES (by parish)
1) SOUTHEASTERN PHI KAPPA PHI HONOREE (Ascension) –Southeastern Louisiana University honor society Phi Kappa Phi inductede Pedro Vinson of St. Amant at ceremonies on campus April 30.
2) SOUTHEASTERN PHI KAPPA PHI HONOREES (Baton Rouge) – Southeastern Louisiana University honor society Phi Kappa Phi inducted two students from Baton Rouge at ceremonies on campus April 30. Pictured are Ashley Salario and Christopher Alexander.
3) SOUTHEASTERN HONORS PHI KAPPA PHI INDUCTEES (E. Feliciana) -- Angelle Roddy of Clinton was inducted into Southeastern Louisiana University’s Phi Kappa Phi honor society in ceremonies held on the campus April 30.
4) SOUTHEASTERN PHI KAPPA PHI HONOREE (Jefferson) – Chloe D’Aquin of Metairie received the Outstanding Freshman Award during induction ceremonies into the Southeastern Louisiana University Phi Kappa Phi honor society at ceremonies held on the campus April 30.
5)SOUTHEASTERN PHI KAPPA PHI HONOREE (Jefferson Davis) – Katherine G. Wall of Jennings was inducted into the Southeastern Louisiana University Phi Kappa Phi honor society at ceremonies held on the campus April 30.
6) SOUTHEASTERN PHI KAPPA PHI HONOREES (Livingston) – Southeastern Louisiana University Phi Kappa Phi inductees and award winners from Livingston Parish included Quinley M. Arceneaux of Denham Springs. The inductees and award winners were recognized at ceremonies held on campus April 30.
7) SOUTHEASTERN PHI KAPPA PHI HONOREES (Livingston-2) – Southeastern Louisiana University Phi Kappa Phi inductees from Livingston Parish included Kevin Bokun and Jessica Williams, both of Walker. They were recognized at ceremonies held on campus April 30.
8) SOUTHEASTERN PHI KAPPA PHI HONOREE (St. Bernard) – Ignaius H. Bonck of Chalmette was inducted into the Southeastern Louisiana University Phi Kappa Phi honor society at ceremonies held on the campus April 30.
9) SOUTHEASTERN PHI KAPPA PHI HONOREES (St. Tammany) –Southeastern Louisiana University Phi Kappa Phi inductees and award winners from St. Tammany Parish included, from left, Megan Saybe, Mandeville; Hannah Furlan, Covington; Carley Short, Slidell; Stacy Garcia, Mandeville; Emma Larmann and Monica Sicomo, Slidell.
10) SOUTHEASTERN PHI KAPP PHI HONOREES (Tangipahoa) – Several residents of Tangipahoa Parish were recognized as award winners and inductees into the Southeastern Louisiana University Phi Kappa Phi honor society at ceremonies on campus April 30. Pictured, from left, are: Christy Calhoon, April Assavedo, Staff member Paulette Poche, Caleb Holloway, Josie Serigne, Michelle Doescher, Alexis LaPlante, Bailey Hall, and Alumni members Sally Carlisle and Terry Brown.