Have a story idea for Southeastern's website? Send your contact information, a brief description and available photos to email@example.com. We will contact you if we decide to use your story idea.
Wednesday, March 16, 2016
by: Tonya Lowentritt
GUITAR FESTIVAL - Southeastern Louisiana University will host the 17th annual Guitar Festival with programs scheduled in March, April and May. Guitar Festival guest artists David Bryan and Jessica Davis Bryan are scheduled to give a masterclass on March 23 with a performance to follow that evening. All events are free and open to the public.
HAMMOND – Music from a variety of cultures and historical eras, as well as music from
Louisiana composers, will be the focus of the 17th annual Southeastern Louisiana University
“It is a testament to the university’s mission to lead the educational, cultural and economic development of southeast Louisiana that we have been able to present this festival for 17 consecutive years,” said Patrick Kerber, guitar instructor and festival coordinator. “The goal is to offer students and the community a venue that showcases the guitar’s versatility and scope in our diverse, modern music culture.”
Sponsored by the Department of Fine and Performing Arts, the Southeastern Arts and Lectures Committee, and the Southeastern Guitar Club, the festival will launch March 23 with a performance by two Southeastern alumni – guitarist David Bryan and soprano Jessica Davis Bryan - and will run through May 3. Both guest artists are assistant professors of music at William Carey College in Hattiesburg, Miss.
“This will be a wonderful way to begin our guitar events this year with a beautiful program of music,” Kerber said. “It’s always something special when a husband and wife team is successful performing together, and David and Jessica make it happen.”
All events are free, open to the public, and scheduled as follows:
• March 23, 10 a.m., Pottle, room 151; Masterclass with David Bryan – Southeastern students will perform and receive instruction shared with their peers and an informal audience.
• March 23, 7:30 p.m., Pottle Auditorium; Guest Artist Concert – Southeastern alumni guitarist David Bryan and soprano Jessica Davis Bryan return to Southeastern to present a varied performance of music for solo guitar and voice and guitar.
• April 4, 7:30 p.m., Pottle Auditorium; Faculty Recital – Patrick Kerber – A solo guitar featuring music from the English Renaissance, German Baroque, Italian Classical, and Romantic and 20th Century Spanish traditions.
• April 20, 7:30 p.m., Pottle Auditorium; Southeastern Guitar Ensemble – The ensemble performs music for guitar trio, guitar with trumpet, and ten guitars with music from German, Baroque, French Impressionist, Argentine Tango, 20th Century Spanish, and American jazz composers.
• May 3, 7:30 p.m., Pottle Auditorium; All Styles Night – The popular event features guitar music of all styles: folk, pop, jazz, classical, and original music performed by Southeastern students, non-music faculty and local area musicians.
For more information contact Kerber at 985-549-2886, or firstname.lastname@example.org.