Southeastern's Care Team to host activities for Sexual Assault Awareness Month
Thursday, April 5, 2018
by: Tonya Lowentritt
HAMMOND – The Campus Assault Response and Education (CARE) Team at Southeastern
Louisiana University will host a myriad of events and activities in April for Sexual
Assault Awareness Month (SAAM).
CARE Team is a campus-wide group consisting of faculty, staff, and students charged with creating programming, education, and awareness of issues related to Title IX. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 prohibits sex discrimination against students, guests, and employees of educational institutions. More information about Title IX is available at southeastern.edu/titleix.
“Our goal is to not only bring awareness to issues related to sexual assault, but to also engage students in educational discussions about safe practices, consent, healthy relationships, and supporting others who experienced trauma,” said Lee Lind, director of Student Publications and CARE committee co-chair. “Additionally we want to connect students to all the resources and support available to them in our community.”
Activities for the month are sponsored by the University Counseling Center, the University Health Center and the Office of Student Advocacy & Accountability. Additional support is being provided by the Student Government Association, Housing, Athletics, the University Police Department and Student Affairs.
Activites scheduled, all of which are free and open to the campus community, include the following:
• April 9, SAAM information table 11 a.m. – 1 p.m., Student Union Breezeway
• April 10, SAAM Night at The Pat 5 – 6 p.m., Alumni Field, Southeastern vs. Jackson State at 6 p.m. The night includes information, activities and giveaways.
• April 10, Speaker Zeke Thomas, 7 p.m., University Center. Sponsored by SGA, Thomas will speak about his own experience with rape and overcoming trauma. Free to students.
• April 11, “The Hunting Ground,” a documentary about sexual assault on college campuses, 7 – 9 p.m., Pennington Student Activity Center, 6:30 p.m. Free pizza will be offered. Univeristy Counseling Center staff members will be on hand after the documentary to hold discussions and spend time with individuals who wish to see them.
• April 16, SAAM information table, 11 a.m. – 1 p.m., Student Union Breezeway
• April 18, Health Center and SAAM activities, information, giveaways and engagement, 11 a.m. - 2 p.m., Strawberry Jubilee.
• April 25, National Denim Day Display, 11 a.m. – 1 p.m., Student Union East. A display will educate students about National Denim Day, part of a national rape prevention education campaign, and will serve as a collection point for toiletries to donate to a local shelter.