Student Worker Appointments

Last revised:
Spring 2014 
Southeastern Green Seal


Work-Study Programs

Southeastern Louisiana University is committed to offering students excellent training including the opportunity to obtain hands-on experience in the workplace. The University recognizes that student employees can make contributions to the functioning of the University by performing services that might not be economically feasible if the service of a full-time employee were required. At the same time, it is recognized that a student employee should be a student first and an employee second. Southeastern Louisiana University offers students five work-study programs:

Federal Work-Study

The Federal Work-Study program is a federally funded program that gives students the opportunity to work on or off campus. Federal Work-Study is available to undergraduate and graduate students who need the income to help meet the costs of post-secondary education. A student must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to apply for Federal Work-Study. The hiring guidelines are discussed later in this manual.

State Work-Study

Any student who meets the general student worker eligibility requirements may work as a State Work-Study student on campus. State student workers are paid out of the budget of the department in which they are employed while federal student workers are paid through their Federal Work-Study award.

Community Service

The Community Service Work-Study Program offers an alternative to traditional on-campus employment by creating jobs in the community where students have the opportunity to earn federal work-study wages while helping people in the community. Community Service requires that students have at least a 2.0 grade point average. These positions offer students the opportunity to learn about the community in which they live, provide much needed service and gain relevant work experience. Transportation will be required.

America Reads

America Reads tutors must also qualify for a Federal Work-Study award. America Reads tutors work in elementary schools as tutors for children with reading disabilities. America Reads tutors must have a 2.0 grade point average. Beginning freshmen must have an ACT score of at least 18.  A background check will be performed on all tutors prior to placement in a school.

"To the maximum extent possible, a school must provide Federal Work-Study jobs that will complement and reinforce each recipient's educational program or career goals" (Federal Student Financial Aid Handbook). At Southeastern Louisiana University, these opportunities are available with academic and non-academic departments of the University. Also, a percentage of funds have been set aside to develop positions with employers on campus and in the community that will provide services to the underprivileged and needy.


Conditions of Employment

Student workers are temporary, hourly employees who are hired on an as-needed basis. Southeastern makes every effort to employ as many students as possible but there is no guarantee that a student will find a position. Student assistants are covered by Workmen's Compensation in case of an accident on the job, but they do not receive vacation or holiday pay nor are they covered by any health insurance. Southeastern is committed to all provisions of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IV of the Education Amendments of 1972, and other human rights and equal opportunity laws.



Students must be enrolled at least halftime during the fall and spring in a graduate or undergraduate course of study leading to a degree or certificate. If a student employee drops below halftime, they must stop working immediately. If a student drops a class, the financial aid package and the work-study award could be affected. Students dismissed from the University must resign their work-study position.   

The University policy defines half-time enrollment as follows:

  1. Undergraduate – enrolled in an undergraduate college for 6 or more hours of credit for the Fall and Spring semester.
  2. Graduate – enrolled in graduate school for at least 6 graduate hours during the Fall and Spring or for 3 hours in the Summer semester.

Rules for Summer Work Study

State Student Workers:

  • If student is currently a state student worker, not registered for summer, but registered for the fall semester can work 40 hours a week beginning the first day after finals.
  • If student is not registered for summer and/or fall they must stop working the last day of finals.
  • Students not enrolled for summer will have FICA taxes withheld.
  • Beginning freshmen enrolled for summer can begin working June  1.
  • Beginning freshmen not enrolled summer can not begin working until they are registered for fall.
  • If a state student worker is registered for summer classes they can work when they are not scheduled to be in class up to 40 hours.
  • Rules apply for the break in May (after finals), June and July.
  • If a student has hours worked at a certain pay rate and is changing jobs for a higher pay rate, the new rate of pay will not go into effect until the following pay period.

Federal Student Workers:

  • Student must be enrolled at least 3 hours in summer school to work as a federal student worker.  Enrollment can be in a mini session, term session, or regular session.
  • Student can work when they are not scheduled to be in class (up to 40 hours).
  • If student is currently federal and not enrolled for summer they must stop working the last day of finals. It they are registered for the fall semester they may begin working as a state student worker June 1.
  • Student must have sufficient work study funds to cover the hours they work.
  • All students are considered state student workers beginning July 1.
  • Rules apply for the break in May (after finals), June and July.
  • If a student has hours worked at a certain pay rate and is changing jobs for a higher pay rate, the new rate of pay will not go into effect until the following pay period.


Required Documents for Student Employment

U.S. Citizen:

  • Social Security Card OR U.S. Birth Certificate, and
  • Picture I.D. (Drivers License, California I.D., etc.)


  • United States Passport


  • Certificate of U.S. Citizenship


  • Certificate of Naturalization

Resident Alien Eligible to Work in the US

  • Social Security Card, and
  • Picture I.D., and
  • Resident Card Number (Green Card or I94)


  • Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) with photograph


  • Unexpired foreign passport with attached Employment verification


Processing and Clearance

Each school year the Work-Study Office must process both new and returning students before they can begin working. New student workers must complete a Work-Study hire packet prior to working. The hire packet includes a Work-Study Referral Form, a Student Employment Data Form, Form W-4, Form L-4, an E-2 Pre Existing Conditions Form, a Form I-9, must include a copy of a picture and a non-picture form of identification, and must complete student worker training online.
This process will ensure that the student is eligible to work and that he/she is set up in payroll. Failure to complete a Work-Study packet prior to beginning work may result in delay or forfeit of pay.

International Students

International students on non-immigrant visa must have the Coordinator of International Admissions and Advising declare them eligible to work before the University can employ them. In general, an international student is eligible to work if he or she is enrolled full time, holds an F-1 or J-1 visa, demonstrates that the work will not interfere with his or her ability to pursue a full course of study, and shows a need to work to pay educational expenses. The work permit must be attached to the work-study packet along with a copy of all pages of their passport, copy of I-20ID, and a copy of their social security card.


Student Process to Apply for Federal Work-Study

To be considered for a federal work-study award, a student must first complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), which assesses the financial need of the individual. This form must be completed each year.  Once the application has been received, the cost of attendance for the student will be established. The budget includes an average monetary amount for fees, books, room and board, personal expenses and transportation. An expected family contribution is subtracted from the cost of education. The difference is defined as "financial need" which could create the need for a federal work-study award. State work-study students do not need to complete this process.

Under federal guidelines, the combination of all need-based aid may not exceed the financial need of the individual. If eligible, a work-study award will be listed in students’ financial aid award letter. The monetary amount offered would be the maximum earnings the student may attain during each session. This amount may change if information or financial aid awards change the student's eligibility for financial assistance. A student may request a work-study award regardless if the award appears on the award letter.