A minimum overall GPA of 3.5 is required to be evaluated by the MEC and a science GPA of 3.7 or higher is recommended. In past years the average GPA of students accepted into LSU Medical School was 3.8.
2024 Covid-19 Policy
In order to comply with the ongoing Covid-19 social distancing recommendations, the
MEC will adhere to the modified evaluation process.
No paper applications.
Please submit all documents and forms via email.
No face-to-face interviews.
We will schedule Google Meet sessions for individual and committee interviews.
Please watch this space for additional updates.
Stay healthy, stay safe, stay home!
Applying for Medical or Pre-professional Schools
- Make a folder to keep all your papers in order and in good condition.
- Type your information
- Make copies of all application materials before mailing them in case it is needed
- Notify those who are writing references for you at least one month ahead of time
- Most Medical Schools want a recommendation letter from an institutional committee
- If your overall GPA is 3.5 or higher and you want to be evaluated by Southeastern's Medical School Evaluation Committee (MEC) click on the big link to the "Application Materials" below. If your GPA is below this threshold make an appointment with the Pre-Medical Advisor to find out what you can do.
- Be aware of deadlines especially the online "Notice of Intent"
For any questions or concerns, feel free to ask the Delta Omega Alpha officers or the Pre-Medical Advisor
Important 2024 Deadlines
|1st week in May
|Submit online Notice of Intent
The 2024 deadline is Friday, May 3.
|The week after finals week in May (Deadline: Friday, May 17 2024)
|Email your complete application packet to the pre-medical advisor by 12:00 NOON
|Application packets are distributed to MEC committee members for review
|Individual one-on-one interviews
|Interview with the full MEC committee
|Committee letters are written and ready for review by applicants
|Letters are submitted to Medical Schools
Resources for Pre-professional Students
Scholarships For Pre-Professional Students
William F. Sherman Memorial Scholarship (for seniors with financial need)
Nancy Kathryn O'Neil Memorial Scholarship (for students from the Northshore)
Brandon Buras Memorial Scholarship (for Southeastern seniors applying to medical school)
Major Kenneth E. Dyson Award (for Southeastern seniors or graduates accepted into medical or dental school)
Other Useful Links