Family and Consumer Sciences Education
Teaching life skills ........ influencing others.
A degree in FCS Education is a four-year degree which prepares you to take the Praxis exam and provides a certification for teaching FCS at the junior and high school levels. Courses are chosen to give you a broad knowledge of all aspects of managing home and family life. This degree will prepare you for your certification as a secondary teacher.
You might choose to teach FCS if you
- Are interested in people and how they learn
- Want to affect lives to improve families
- Are concerned with people and their environment
- Love learning and want to help others learn
- Recognize that knowledge is key to success
- See family as the basic unit in all societies
- Seek a career that brings you joy!
Content areas taught in high school FCS Education programs include:
|Money Management||Nutrition||Food Preparation|
|Wise Shopping||Wellness||Personal Development|
|Clothing Selection||Child Development||Housing & Interiors|
|Sewing Skills||Family Relations||Household Management|
Click on the year in which you declared FCS Education as your major - that will be the sheet that applies to you.
Students in FCS Education will be advised by Dr. Gail McMillon before registering for classes.