Getting Advised into Courses
During your first semester at Southeastern all Computer Science and Industrial Technology majors are advised by the Center for Student Excellence. Every semester after that the Department of Computer Science and Industrial Technology is responsible for advising.
All students must be advised each semester to have the registration hold removed. If a student does not yet have an assigned advisor they can come to the Computer Science and Industrial Technology office or call 985-549-2189 to be assigned a faculty advisor in their concentration or area of interest. Appointments can be scheduled with the advisor in person or the student can use the on-line advising system (see instructions below). However, Freshmen have to see their advisor at least once in person to get to know them. The following resources may be helpful:
- Who is my Advisor of Summer/Fall 2014 classes?
- Still Not Sure? Contact Main Office: 985-549-2189
- All Degree Completion Sheets and Pre-requisite Charts can be found on the degree webpages:
- All Course Descriptions can be found in the General Catalog:
- Online Advising System
- Go to the Student Online Advising System
- Simplified Online Advising Instructions for STUDENTS
- Detailed Online Advising Instructions for STUDENTS
- Please remember that if you do online advising, you have to remove your own hold after your advisor approves your schedule.
- Be sure to provide the name of your assigned advisor for that semester.
- Online Advising Instructions for FACULTY
- Transfer Courses
- If you have questions about transfer courses and if they will count in your degree
completion sheet, you must speak with a Program Coordinator or the Department Head. You
must provide the course description (and syllabus if possible) so that we can best
determine if the course will count in our curricula.
- Contact information for the Program Coordinators and Department is on the homepage: http://selu.edu/csit.
- If you have questions about transfer courses and if they will count in your degree completion sheet, you must speak with a Program Coordinator or the Department Head. You must provide the course description (and syllabus if possible) so that we can best determine if the course will count in our curricula.
- Independent Study Courses
- This form is to used for all courses without a standard and pre-defined topics list that a student or small group of students will be taking with a faculty member. For example, CMPS, ET, IT, DDT, or OSHE courses with "Special Topics," "Special Problems," or "Independent Study" in the course title.
- It must be completed and signed by the faculty member and the student, and submitted to the Department Head for approval.
- Download the Form
- Course Substitutions
- Course Substitutions will only be considered prior the semester in which the course is to be taken. Approval must be granted from the Department Head and also the Dean's Office before the course is taken. Transfer course substitutions must be requested during the student's first semester at Southeastern.