World Languages and Cultures
The Department of World Languages and Cultures offers a Bachelor of Arts in World Languages with concentrations in Dual Language, French, French Education, Spanish, and Spanish Education. Our degree program offers an interdisciplinary and experiential curriculum that prepares our majors and minors for careers requiring various linguistic and cultural needs of the contemporary job market.
Our students can learn Spanish, French, German, Italian, Latin and soon, Chinese. Students develop fluency with our wide range of courses including: grammar, phonetics, translation, service-learning, literature, cultural studies, conversation, foreign language teaching methodology, and second language acquisition. We offer specialized courses such as: Spanish for Medical Translation, French for Business and International Trade, German Postwar Cinema, Art and Literature in the Italian Renaissance, and Latin Translation of Caesar's De Bello Gallico. All students have access to state-of-the-art broadcast facilities in radio and television, language learning software, and conversational partners.
- Our majors and minors come from different regions to study a world language at Southeastern. Every class offers an excellent multicultural, multilingual, and multi-dialect experience with experienced faculty from Mexico, Italy, Poland, Venezuela, Colombia, and various states within the United States.
Our faculty members have won numerous President's Awards for teaching, research and service, served on editorial boards for academic journals, and participated in international conferences and contributed to a range of community and academic organizations.
The Department hosts International Night, an annual celebration of our diverse, multicultural students on campus. The event, which kicks off Southeastern's celebration of International Education Week, includes a talent show and international buffet
- Majors have an opportunity to participate in an experiential learning internship in which they are required to use the target language in a real-world context.
- Southeastern is the only university in the state of Louisiana to have a CAEP/NCATE certified Spanish Education program. This certification demonstrates that teacher candidates are prepared to enter the K-12 classroom and teach diverse populations of language learners.
- For post-graduates who later choose to become a World Language teacher, we offer an alternative pathway to certification in French, Spanish, German and Latin..
- The Department has French, Spanish, German, and Italian Clubs that meet regularly and host various events throughout the school year. All students are encouraged to join!
DEGREES & CURRICULUM
New Fall 2020 Courses:
- CHIN 101: Elementary Mandarin Chinese I
- CHIN 314: Chinese Culture & Civilization
In combination with our Department and the Library, the University has offers the FREE app Mango Languages, a language immersion software available to all Southeastern students, faculty, and staff containing over 70 languages. Click here to sign up and begin using Mango!
Learn More About the Department