World Languages and Cultures
The Department of World Languages and Cultures offers a Bachelor of Arts in World Languages with concentrations in Dual Languages, French, French Education, Spanish, and Spanish Education. Our degree program offers an interdisciplinary and experiential curricula that aims to prepare our majors and minors for careers to meet the various linguistic and cultures needs of contemporary job market demands.
Our students can learn Spanish, French, German, Italian, Latin and soon, Chinese. Students can go on to develop their fluency with our wide range of courses including: grammar, phonetics, translation, service-learning, literature, cultural studies, conversation, foreign language teaching methodology, and second language acquisition. Additionally, we offer multiple specialized courses such as: Spanish for Medical Translation, French for Business and International Trade, German Postwar Cinema, Art and Literature in the Italian Renaissance, and Latin Translation of Caesar's De Bello Gallico. Additionally, all students have access to state-of-the-art broadcast facilities in radio and television, language learning software, and conversational partners.
- Our majors and minors come from all over the world and from various parts of the country to specifically study a word language at Southeastern. Every class overs an excellent multicultural, multilingual, and multi-dialect experience along with experienced faculty originally from Mexico, Italy, Poland, Venezuela, Colombia, and various states within the United States, including Louisiana.
The World Languages and Cultures Department boasts award winning faculty and many endowed professorships. The faculty have also won numerous President's Awards for teaching, research and service. Additionally, faculty contiuously serve on Editorial Boards for academic journals and various community and academic organizations.
The Department annually hosts International Night, a celebration of our international students on campus. The annual event includes an international buffet and an international show featuring our international and world language students.
- Each major in the Department has an opportunity to participate in an experiental learning internship in which they are required to use the target language in a real-world context.
- Southeastern is the only university in the state of Louisiana to have a CAEP/NCATE certified Spanish Education program. This certification indicates that teacher candidates are properly prepared to enter the K-12 classroom and effective teach diverse populations of language learners.
- For post-graduates who later choose to become a World Langauge teacher, we offer an alternative pathway to certification in French and Spanish.
- The Department has a French, Spanish, German, and Italian Club that regularly meet and host various events throughout the school year. All students are encouraged to join!
DEGREES & CURRICULUM
In combination with our Department and the Library, the University has offers the FREE app Mango Languages, a language immersion software available to all Southeastern students, faculty, and staff containing over 70 languages. Click here to sign up and begin using Mango!