Jeannie Ricks Harper, PhD, RN
Southeastern Louisiana University
School of Nursing
Baton Rouge Center
4849 Essen Lane
Baton Rouge, LA 70809
Education- Ph.D Louisiana State University
- M.S.N Southeastern Louisiana University
- B.S Southeastern Louisiana University
Licensure and Board Certifications
- Registered Nurse in Louisiana
Academic Positions- Instructor Southeastern Louisiana University
- Adjunct Faculty (Graduate) Loyola University, Baton Rouge Center
Honors & Awards
- Class Mentor SLU School of Nursing
- Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society for Nursing – Rho Zeta Chapter
Areas of Research Interest
- Jeannie Harper and Dr. Donna Hathorn - The Experience of Students, Faculty, and Graduates from a Second Degree Baccalaureate Nursing Program, Qualitative Research in collaboration with Dr. Susan Pryor's study on Second Degree Students in Nursing
- Jeannie Harper and Dr. Karen Moody, Literature Review and Proposal presently being developed on health belief practices and knowledge of nursing students relating to the prevention of cervical cancer and the Gardisil Vaccine
- Qualitative Research - Preceptor Effectiveness for New Graduate Nurses – Presently conducting literature review – follow-up from dissertation research
- Women's Health Nursing
- New Graduate Nurses
Selected Publications & Presentations
- Elliott-Carter, N., Harper, J. (2012). Keeping mothers and newborns together after Cesarean Section. Nursing for Women's Health, 16(4), 290-295.
- Dunston, D. Ieyoub, J., Hart, IV, A., Harper, J., Burke, M. (2010). A retrospective analysis comparing small bowel follow-through versus wireless capsule endoscopy in the evaluation of obscure gastrointestinal bleeding. Society of Gastroenterology Nurses and Associates, 33(4), 2-5.
- Machtmes, K., Deggs, D., Johnson, E., Fox, J., Burke, M., Harper, J., Matzke, B., Arcemont, L., Hebert, L., Tarifa, T., Reynaud, A., Aguirre, R. & Brooks, C., (in press). Teaching qualitative research methods through service-learning. The Qualitative Report.(2009)
- Harper, J. & Burke, M. (2009). I've arrived in cyberspace--Now, where's my lecture? Manuscript submitted for publication.
- Harper, J., & Tillman, K. (2009). New GraduateBaccalaureate Nurses and Acute Care HospitalUnits: Can This Marriage Be Saved? Manuscript submitted for publication.
- Reviewed Maternal Child Chapters of NCLEX review book; Dr. Louise Plaisance, primary author (Prentiss Hall Publications)
- In progress – Presently co-authoring psyc/mental health nursing chapter for NCLEX review book with Michele Ellis. Dr. Louise Plaisance, primary author (Prentiss Hall Publications) Estimated publication date – 2009
- Prodium Presenter: Drexel Heritage Nursing Education Simulation Conference. Sepsis SOS!!! The Use of Case Study Simulation for Staff Development - March 2012.
- Jeannie Harper - AWHONN Poster Presenter (Peer Reviewed) Summer 2011 ~ Code 2 Ballet in Collaboration with Monica Frederic, RN
- Jeannie Harper - Surviving SOS!!! Lunch and Learn Presentation for Woman's Hospital RN's.
- Jeannie Harper - Surviving Sepsis and Septic Shock: Improving Outcomes Through Nursing Knowledge; Woman's Hospital, Baton Rouge, LA, November 2010, March 2011
- Jeannie Harper and Marree Saltaformaggio - You Want Me to Give This Magnesium Sulfate to Do What?? AWHONN presentation, Woman's Hospital, October 2010
- Jeannie Harper - Hypertensive Disorders of Pregnancy; Presentation for Safe Solutions to High Risk Pregnancies; Woman's Hospital, Baton Rouge, LA, February 2009
- Jeannie Harper – Multiple Sclerosis and Pregnancy; Woman's Hospital, Baton Rouge, LA, April 2009
-Jeannie Harper and Donna Hathorn - Precepting the Preceptors; SLU, Baton Rouge, LA, December 2009.
- Jeannie Harper – Southeastern La. University Simulation Workshop – presenter
- Jeannie Harper and Mary Burke – Innovative Technology in New Faculty Orientation, Drexel University Conference for Educational Technology, Hilton Head, South Carolina, March, 2008
- Jeannie Harper and Mary Burke – MRSA in Community Settings, Presentation for Louisiana Department of Sanitation, Baton Rouge, LA, November 2007
- Jeannie Harper and Mary Burke – I've Arrived in Cyberspace...Now Where's my lecture; Accepted for poster presentation at Drexel University 2009 Nursing education conference; declined due to budget cuts.
- Jeannie Harper - The Lived Experience of New Graduate Baccalaureate Registered Nurses Working in an Acute Care Hospital Setting, Drexel University Conference for Nursing Education, Miami, FL, June, 2007
- Thesis Committee Member for Marree Saltaformaggio, SLU Graduate Student, Spring 2013
- Thesis Committee Member for Catherine Doyle, SLU Graduate Student, Spring 2012
- Served as Second Reader for Amanda Moore, SLU Graduate Student for Scholarly Research -Project, Fall 2011
- Served as Second Reader for Rachel Simmons, SLU Graduate Student for Scholarly Research Project, Fall 2011