What can I do with my FOREIGN LANGUAGE degree?
Employers of Foreign Language Majors
- International Political Organizations, Embassies, and Consultants
- Import/Export Companies & International Banks
- Government - CIA, Defense Dept., Peace Corps,
- Dept. of Justice, Immigration & Naturalization
- International Student Programs
- Corporate Programs for Transfer Students
- Non-profit Organizations
- Industry - Hospitality, Restaurants & Hotels, Health Care Services, Pharmaceutical Companies
- Airlines, Cruise Lines, Railroads
- Automobile Industry
Related Occupations for Foreign Language Majors
Some of these occupations may require additional education at Graduate or Professional schools. For information on qualifications and career specifics consult the Occupational Outlook Handbook or other career resources. Also, take advantage of career counseling offered by the Center for Student Excellence.
|Air Traffic Assistant||Intelligence Specialist|
|Art Dealer||International Account Representative|
|Banking Correspondent||International Banking Officer|
|Bilingual Educator||International Consultant|
|Civil Service Employee||International Trade Economist|
|Cultural Officer||Loan Officer|
|Drug Enforcement Agent||National Security Agent|
|FBI or CIA Agent||Overseas Plant Manager|
|Financial Planner||Peace Corps|
|Foreign Correspondent||Pharmaceutical Representative|
|Foreign Diplomat||Sports Agent|
|Foreign Exchange Trader||Teacher|
|Foreign Service Officer||Tour Organizer|
|Foreign Service Peacekeeping||Translator|
|Foreign Service Specialist||Travel Agent|
|Fund-Raiser Importer/Exporter||Travel Writer|
Preparing for a Job in Foreign Languages
- Be familiar with current events and travel to the other countries.
- Undertake work/study in the country where the target language is spoken.
- Become more fluent by reading books, and using tapes and videos.
- Network and attend job fairs.
- Obtain certification to teach.
- Develop business skills to compliment language skills.
- Work in an international company based in the U.S.
- Consult a directory of foreign firms based in the U. S.
- Consult a directory of U. S. firms abroad.
|Program Overview||Contact Information|
|Department of Languagesand Communication|
|Spanish||College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences|
|On Campus: D Vickers Hall, Room 219|
|Telephone: (985) 549-2105|
|Links for Foreign Language Majors|