What can I do with my HISTORY degree?
Employers of History Majors
- Federal Agencies including: Smithsonian Institution, National Archives & Records, Library of Congress, National Park Service, Intelligence Services and Forest Service
- State Agencies including: State Archives and Libraries, State Museums, Parks and Historic Sites
- Municipal Archives
- Arts & Humanities Councils & Commissions
- School Districts
- Business & Industry
- Travel & Tourism
- Public Interest Groups, Political Campaigns
- Research Foundations
- General Motors
- Johnson Controls
- Abbott Labs
- AT & T
- U. S. National Archives
- University & Public Libraries
Related Occupations for History Majors
Some of these occupations may require additional education at Graduate or Professional schools. For information on qualifications and career specifics consult the Occupational Outlook Handbook or other career resources. Also, take advantage of career counseling offered by the Center for Student Excellence.
|Account Executive||International Relations Specialist|
|College & University Librarian||Lecturer|
|College & University Professor||Legal Assistant|
|Consumer Advocate||Manger of Research & Planning|
|Corporate Executive||Manuscript & Records Manager|
|Corporate Historian||Museum Curator|
|Foreign Service Officer||School Administrator|
|Historic Preservation Specialist||Treasury Agent|
|Historic Site Specialist||U.S. Military Officer|
|Historical Society Manager or Staff Person or Administrator||Writer/Biographer|
|Human Resource Manager|
Preparing for a Job in History Related Occupations
- Join related campus organizations such as A.S.H. (Associated Students of History)
Phi Alpha Theta (International History Honorary Fraternity)
- Get relevant experience in student government or internship in government agency.
- Develop foreign language ability.
- Volunteer on political campaigns, political advocacy groups or community service projects.
- Obtain part-time work or volunteer work as tour guide or museum guide.
- Consider advanced degree.
|Program Overview||Contact Information|
|History||Department of History and Political Science|
|College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences|
|On Campus: Fayard Hall, Room 335|
|Links for History Majors|