What can I do with my POLITICAL SCIENCE degree?
Employers of Political Science Majors
- Government Agencies including: U.S. Dept. of Justice, U.S. Bureau of the Budget, U.S. Treasury Dept., U.S. Armed Forces, U.S. State Dept., Dept. of Defense, Dept. of Agriculture, Dept. of Housing & Urban Development, FBI, or CIA
- Foreign Services including: Political Affairs,Economic Affairs, Consular Services, or Administrative Affairs
- Peace Corps
- State and Local Government
Related Occupations for Political Science Majors
Some of these occupations may require additional education at Graduate or Professional schools. For information on qualifications and career specifics consult the Occupational Outlook Handbook or other career resources. Also, take advantage of career counseling offered by the Center for Student Excellence.
|Broadcast/Newspaper Journalist||International Organization Official Lawyer|
|Budget Analyst||International Trade Specialist|
|Campaign Manager||Law Enforcement Officer|
|City Manager||Legal Assistant|
|Collections Officer||Legislative Staff Worker|
|Community Relations Director||Lobbyist|
|Congressional Aide||Market Research Analyst|
|Consumer Advocate||Peace Corps/VISTA Worker|
|Director Radio/TV Announcer||Political Science Teacher|
|Elected Official||Public Administrator|
|Foreign Service Officer||Public Opinion Analyst|
|Government Intelligence Analyst||Public Relations|
|International Banker||Urban Planner|
Preparing for a Job in Political Science Related Occupations
- Consider acquiring foreign language skills.
- Secure internship.
- Become involved in student government.
- Serve in Model United Nations.
- Participate in cross-cultural groups.
- Write for campus publications dealing with national and international affairs.
- Volunteer for local or national political campaigns.
- Earn leadership roles in campus/community organizations.
- Become involved in campus political organizations.
- Develop network of personal contacts.
- Consider obtaining a business minor, or a teaching certificate.
- Volunteer with public radio, TV.
- Announce sports events.
- Become involved in drama.
|Program Overview||Contact Information|
|Political Science||Department of History and Political Science|
|College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences|
|On Campus: Fayard Hall, Room 335|
|Links for Political Science Majors|