What can I do with my PSYCHOLOGY degree?
Employers of Psychology Majors
- Federal Government, Depts. of Health & Human Services, Justice and Veteran's Assistance
State Governments, Depts. of Human Services, and Mental Health
Community Mental Health Centers
- State Psychiatric Hospitals
- Facilities for Mentally Handicapped
- Dept. of Justice, Probation and Parole
- Local Government
- Senior Citizen's Centers
- Boys and Girls Clubs
- Goodwill Industries, YMCA, YWCA, Religious Service Organizations
Related Occupations for Psychology Majors
Some of these occupations may require additional education at Graduate or Professional schools. For information on qualifications and career specifics consult the Occupational Outlook Handbook or other career resources. Also, take advantage of career counseling offered by the Center for Student Excellence.
|Activity Leader||Guidance Counselor|
|Admissions Evaluator||Hospice Coordinator|
|Art Therapist||Human Resources Professional|
|Career Counselor||International Student Advisor|
|Career Planning Professional||Job Developer|
|Caseworker||Mental Health Director/Coordinator|
|Child Psychologist||Motivational Researcher|
|Clinical Psychologist||Music Therapist|
|College Student Affairs Professional||Occupational Counselor|
|Community & Social Service Worker||Probation Officer|
|Community Relations Director||Psychologist|
|Corrections Officer||Recreation Specialist|
|Cottage Parent||School Counselor|
|Crisis Intervention Counselor||Substance Abuse Counselor|
|EEO/AA Specialist||Vocational Counselor|
Preparing for a Job in Psychology
- Be prepared to obtain an advanced degree to do counseling work.
- Obtain practical experience through part-time or summer work such as camp counselor, resident hall advisor, work at a senior citizen's facility.
- Volunteer in programs such as Big Brother/Sister, Special Olympics, psychiatric hospitals, or advocacy groups.
- Maintain high grade point average for admission to graduate school.
- Develop strong communication and interpersonal skills.
|Program Overview||Contact Information|
|Psychology||Department of Psychology|
|College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences|
|On Campus: White Hall, Room 220|
|Telephone: (985) 549-3984|
|Links for Psychology Majors|