What can I do with my SOCIOLOGY degree?
Employers of Sociology Majors
- Advocacy Groups
- Federal, State & Local Government
- United Way Agencies
- Non-Profit Organizations
- Religious Service Organizations
- Adoption & Child Care Agencies
- Nursing Homes
- Corrections Institutions
- Court Systems
- Private Social Service Organizations
- Health Agencies and Social Service Firms
- Consulting Firms
- Companies Compiling Demographic Data or Forecasting and Population Studies
- Private Research Firms
Related Occupations for Sociology Majors
Some of these occupations may require additional education at Graduate or Professional schools. For information on qualifications and career specifics consult the Occupational Outlook Handbook or other career resources. Also, take advantage of career counseling offered by the Center for Student Excellence.
|Admissions Counselor||Marriage & Family Therapist|
|Adoption Agent||Medical Social Worker|
|Advocate||Mental Health Agent|
|Aging Specialist||Motivational Speaker|
|Career Services Counselor||Parole Officer|
|Case Worker||Peace Corps/VISTA Worker|
|Child Welfare Officer||Penolgist|
|Community Relations Director||Population Specialist|
|Day Care Worker||Research Assistant|
|Demographic Analyst||School Counselor|
|Family Guidance Clinic Worker||Social Scientist|
|Family Preservation Case Worker||Social Welfare Examiner|
|Foster Care Worker||Teacher|
|Health Care Worker|
Preparing for a Job in Sociology
- Prepare to obtain advanced degree
- Develop good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Acquire related experience through volunteer, part-time or summer work in mental health agencies, advocacy groups, social service programs, etc.
- Develop skills in research and statistical applications.
- Take courses in areas of interest such as personnel management, public speaking, labor relations, industrial relations, etc.
|Program Overview||Contact Information|
|Sociology||Department of Sociology and Criminal Justice|
|College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences|
|On Campus: Fayard Hall, Room356C|
|Telephone: (985) 549-5964|
|Links for Sociology Majors|