What can I do with my SPECIAL EDUCATION degree?

What can I do with my SPECIAL EDUCATION degree?

Employers of Special Education Majors

  • Boards of Education
  • Program Director for Exceptional Children
  • Private Learning Centers
  • Mental Health Facilities
  • State or Private Schools for Disabilities
  • Correctional Facilities
  • Residential Therapeutic Camps
  • Sheltered Workshops
  • Schools

Related Occupations for Special Education Majors

Some of these occupations may require additional education at Graduate or Professional schools. For information on qualifications and career specifics consult the Occupational Outlook Handbook or other career resources. Also, take advantage of career counseling offered by the Center for Student Excellence.

Adapted Physical Education Teacher Lobbyist
Employee Development Specialist Research Assistant
Autism Center Manager/Teacher Teacher - Adult Education
Special Education Teacher - Schools Creative Arts Therapist
Camp Director Day Care Center Owner/Operator
Language/Audiologist Educational Advocate
Recreational Therapist Peace Corps/VISTA volunteer
Speech Pathologist Orientation & Mobility Specialist
Rehabilitation Counselor Teacher of the Hearing Impaired
Student Teacher Advisor Tutor

Preparing for a Job in Special Education

  1. Locate part-time employment working with people who have disabilities.
  2. Visit schools or other programs.
  3. Volunteer in schools or organized youth activities such as church groups, athletics, camps, etc.
  4. Tutor.
  5. Develop an appreciation of individual differences and the dignity of each human being.


Program Overview   Contact Information
Special Education   Department of Teaching and Learning
    College of Education and Human Development
    On Campus: Cate Teacher Education Center, Room 228
    Telephone: 985-549-2221
    E-mail: bbery@selu.edu

Links for Special Education Majors