Master of Education in Counselor Education
To be considered for admission to the Counselor Education master's degree program an applicant must:
1. Initially satisfy all of Southeastern Louisiana University graduate admission requirements (Consult the Southeastern General Catalogue for admission requirements), submit an application for admission to the University and pay the application fee.
2. Complete nine (9) hours of undergraduate or graduate study in behavioral sciences (psychology, sociology, social work, etc.) and three (3) hours in statistics.
3. Take the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) PRIOR to submitting the application packet. We will accept your self-reported scores, but official scores must be received prior to your admission to the program.
4. Obtain a score of at least 1,250 points based on the formula:
(200 x GPA*) + GRE Verbal Score + GRE Quantitative Score = 1,250
*the higher of the cumulative or last sixty undergraduate hours
The GRE scores used in the above calculation are based on scores issued prior to August 2011. If you have taken the GRE after July 2011 you will need to convert your scores using the concordance table located on the GRE website.
Verbal - 162 (test taken after July 2011) converts to 640
Quantitative - 152 (test taken after July 2011) converts to 670
5. Submit a completed application packet by the specified due date, which includes the following:
- A current resume including full name, address, phone numbers, e-mail address*, academic experiences, prior related work experiences, degrees held, honors, awards, special interests, and other appropriate information. (*Note: The email address you provide on your resume will be used for all future correspondence. Please make certain that this email address is accurate and checked on a regular basis, otherwise you will miss important deadlines and information).
- Three (3) reference forms from individuals familiar with the applicant's academic abilities and potential for success as a professional counselor.
- An autobiographical narrative demonstrating evidence of life experiences and personal maturity indicating appropriateness for the counseling field.
The completed packet should be mailed to:
Department of Counseling and Human Development
Attention: Graduate Coordinator
SLU Box 10863
Hammond, LA 70402
Upon evaluation of program applications, qualified applicants may be invited to participate in a mandatory one-day admissions interview. (At the discretion of the Counseling Program Admissions Committee, alternate interview arrangements may be afforded to international students or individuals residing in distant states). Applicants will be notified by email within a week after the admission packet deadline as to whether or not they have been invited for an interview.
Program Application Admission Deadlines
The counseling program application packet due date for consideration for admission to the counseling program are as follows :
- April 1 of each year for EITHER the upcoming summer OR fall semester
- June 30 of each year for for the upcoming fall semester
- November 1 of each year for the upcoming spring semester
Note: If any of the deadlines happen to fall on a day that the university is closed, the application will be due on the next day that the university is open.
All materials must be received by the Graduate Coordinator by these dates in order for the applicant to be considered for the admissions interview.
Admission to the counseling program and each program track is selective and requires a favorable evaluation by the Counseling Program Admissions Committee. Within two weeks after participation in the program admission interview, applicants will be notified that they are either accepted for admission or not accepted for admission.