Curricular Practical Training

Curricular Practical Training

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is defined as employment that must be “an integral
part of an established curriculum.” CPT is used primarily for students who are enrolled
in a course that is required in their degree program that requires the student to
work as part of an internship or other off campus employment. Therefore, CPT for F1
students is intended to provide work experience in situations where the work serves
as an integral part of a student’s academic program, prior to completion of that program.

To be eligible for CPT, you must have been lawfully enrolled full time for one academic
year before being eligible. The ISO can authorize CPT if it can be clearly documented
that the proposed employment meets one of the following conditions:

  • The training employment is required of all degree candidates in the program and is
    necessary for the awarding of the degree. There are only a few academic programs at
    Southeastern which require a period of off-campus employment for all degree candidates.
    This requirement must be formally documented in school publications.

  • The training employment will result in the awarding of academic credit. Included in
    this category is employment for a course specifically designed to award academic credit
    for an employment experience.

Part-time vs. Full-time CPT :
During the school year while classes are in session, students can engage in CPT on
a part-time basis and are limited to no more than 20 hours per week.

A student can engage in full-time CPT during official University breaks and vacation.
A student can also engage in full-time CPT during his/her dissertation or theses stage.
However, if you participate in 12 months or more of full-time CPT, you will NOT be
eligible for post-completion OPT.

How to Apply for CPT

To apply for CPT, you must make an appointment with the ISO and bring the following
documents with you:

  1. Copy of your official offer letter on company letterhead that is signed by the prospective
    employer. A photocopy is acceptable. The letter should include the employer’s name,
    address, and dates of employment.

  2. A CPT recommendation form completed by your academic advisor.

  3. Copies of your current immigration documents: passport, I-94 card, and I-20’s.

If you are eligible for CPT, the ISO will authorize CPT by issuing a new I-20. You
may engage in CPT employment only after you have received the I-20 with your CPT authorization
noted. This work authorization is only valid for the specific employer, location,
time period on a part-time or full-time basis as approved and recorded by the ISO.
You may not continue employment beyond the date authorized unless you apply and are
granted an extension of your permission.