International Support Services
On behalf of the Southeastern Louisiana University and the Multicultural and International Affairs staff, welcome to the our Lion Family! You are embarking on an exciting new journey and a truly rewarding educational experience. Southeastern values the holistic development of students, and our office is fully committed to providing opportunities to assist you in learning through your academic pursuits - as well as from your contacts outside of the classroom.
Through organizational involvement, program participation, and sharing your cultural heritage with others, you will make a significant contribution to our University. Thus, we invite you to take advantage of the many opportunities we offer to learn about new cultures and to share your culture with others by viewing the list of international student organizations here at Southeastern found at the link below:
For questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Join the International Student Group Me (CURRENT STUDENTS ONLY) (Group Me is a messaging application. This Group Me is a system for current international students that are accepted in the university to ask general questions and receive support from peers. If you have any questions, please email the International Student Union President, Gabriel Rodrigues at email@example.com).
- Utilize the International Buddy Program. (This new program pairs up new international students to current students to ease the transition to a new country, culture, and school).
Mentees (New Students) SIGN UP here.
Mentors SIGN UP here.
When possible, field trips to area attractions are organized, serving as a means of introducing Louisiana culture to international students.
New Student Orientation
International Student Orientation is a program that gives new international students the opportunity to become comfortable at Southeastern providing information regarding services, policies, advising requirements, immigration counseling, and registration procedures.
This year's International Orientation Program will be hosted on Southeastern’s campus in the Student Union, Room # 2207 (303 Union Ave, Hammond, LA 70402, Floor 2) on Thursday, August 11th 2022. Orientation will be held from 8 am to 6 pm CST. The Wesley Center will be hosting an optional welcome dinner and tour of the food pantry.
International Education Week
International Education Week is a week long celebration of everything international! This year's International Education Week will be held on Monday, November 14th- Friday, November 18th 2022 on campus. The events are designed to promote internationalism in the hopes that our students will become “global citizens,” and to help our foreign students feel more welcomed at our University with partnerships between Office for Student Engagement, Multicultural and International Affairs, International Student Union, Campus Dining and Aramark, Student Government Association, World Languages and Culture's Ambassadors, students, clubs and faculty, and of course, international students. All events are free of charge.
Fall 2022 International Week Schedule:
Monday, November 14th [5:00 PM- 7:00 PM, Student Union Ballroom- 3rd Floor] International Night
- Enjoy foreign language music, dance performances, and an international buffet in the Student Union Ballroom.
- Access the event program here.
Tuesday, November 15th [10:00 AM- 2:00 PM, Around Campus ] Find The Globes
- Find one of three small globes hidden around campus to recieve a prize. *Around Garrett, Meade, and the Computer/Science/Technology Building.
Wednesday, November 16th [6:30 PM- 8:00 PM, The Pennington Student Activity Center 'The REC' Rooms 225] International Dance Classes
- Join us as we learn dances from around the world!
Thursday, November 17th [10:00 AM- 2:00 PM, Student Union Breezeway/Sidewalk] International Cultural Display
- Learn from international students about their home country and sample a piece of their culture.
Friday, November 18th [6:00 PM- 10:00 PM, Tinsley Lounge] International Karoke
- Come sing along to your favorite international song!
Each semester, we sponsor, or co-sponsor, with other student organizations or departments to provide several events that help our international students celebrate important holidays and share their cultures with the Southeastern community.
Graphing Calculator Loan
The Office of Multicultural & International Student Affairs loans graphing calculators for international students to use. Calculators are checked out on a first-come, first-served basis for one semester at a time. Interested students may visit the Office for Student Engagement in the Student Union Annex - Room 2307 and fill out a form online to borrow one. Please read the policies listed at the top of each form.
The Office of Multicultural & International Student Affairs has partnered with University Housing to provide laundry access to international students. Please email MISA at firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions or concerns.
Need transportation locally? Here are some options!
- Quality Choice Transportation-985-981-8294
- Hammond Cab-985-551-3655
Need to Apply for Housing for the Fall 22 Semester?
Southeastern University Housing provides a quality environment for residents to enhance their educational, social, and personal growth at a reasonable cost while providing friendly and efficient service. Submit your housing application as soon as possible on University Housing's portal HERE, or call University Housing at (985) 549-2118.
Need to Stay Off Campus for the Fall 22 Semester?
If you are unable to stay on campus, or just prefer to live off-campus, you can do an internet search for "Apartments in Hammond, Louisiana" to get a list of those in the area. *Ask to speak to the landlord or property managers during your apartment search. Here are some suggestions of some topics to ask about: Utilities and appliances, required deposits, and general rules of the property. Thoroughly read the terms and conditions of your lease.*
Visit the Greater New Orleans Fair Housing Action Center for more information before signing any paperwork.
Need to Live in a Hotel/Motel Temporarily?
Please note that hotels will likely cost between $85 - $125 or more per night. The closest hotels are about 1 – 2 miles from campus; however, the Hammond City Bus has stops near many of them.
Need a Place to Live?
- Contact MISA as soon as possible at email@example.com or 985-549-3850
- Please contact The Wesley Foundation near campus to inquire about potential housing accommodations at
(985) 345-6175 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Need Help Writing or Editing a Paper?
The Southeastern Writing Center, located in D. Vickers Hall, Room 210, provides consultations and resources for students needing assistance with writing papers. Students can get information on proper MLA format, help with grammar, and more, from trained individuals.
Need Free Food Resources? Please see these options!
- Campus Food Pantry (McGehee Hall, Room 109). Hours may vary based on availability. Please contact the Wesley Foundation at (985) 345-6175, or email email@example.com for more on the current hours.
- The Wesley Foundation (307 W. Dakota St.) offers hot food on Wednesdays from 11:30 am to 1:30 pm, sometimes during holidays.
- CSA (Catholic Student Center) at St. Albert provides free hot lunch on Tuesdays from 11:30 am until 1:15 pm at 409 W. Dakota St.
- BCM (Baptist Collegiate Ministry) also provides free lunches on Thursdays from 11 am until 12:30 pm at 501 W. Dakota St.
- A local food bank, Our Daily Bread, also provides emergency bags for those in need.985-542-4676
Meal Plan Information
It can be a little confusion trying to decide on a meal plan. You want to make sure
you choose a plan that will fit your needs and not leave you running out of food before
the semester is up. The Dining Services website has resources to help you determine which plan is right for you.
Southeastern Food Pantry
The office of Multicultural & International Student Affairs partnered with the Southeastern Foundation to create the Southeastern Food Pantry. The Southeastern Food Pantry provides perishable and non-perishable items to active Southeastern students, faculty, and staff struggling with food insecurity. For more information, click here to visit the Southeastern Food Pantry's website.
- Tangipahoa.org has information about all parish agencies.
Other International Services & Education