Southeastern to celebrate International Education Week Nov. 17-21
Contact: Elise Doster
HAMMOND – The Office of Multicultural and International Affairs (MISA) at Southeastern Louisiana University will host International Education Week 2008, Nov. 17-21.
The 2008 theme, “We All Smile in the Same Language,” will be showcased throughout the week by various student organizations and departments, including the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures, International Initiatives and the International Student Ministry. MISA, Lyceum Arts and Lectures and the Student Government Association will sponsor the week’s events.
The weeklong festivity will begin Nov. 17 with the “International Night” kick-off celebration, sponsored by the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures. The event, scheduled from 5-7 p.m. in the War Memorial Student Union ballroom, will feature performances by local bands and Southeastern’s international and foreign language students and faculty. The entrance fee is $5 and all proceeds will fund future scholarships for study abroad programs in France, Germany, Italy and Spain.
International Education Week events will include:
▪ Nov. 18, 11 a.m.-noon, Student Union mall: MISA and Lyceum Arts and Lectures will host a lively Kumbuka African dance and drum tribe performance, featuring a Mardi Gras Indian Chief.
▪ Nov. 18, 3 p.m., Tinsley Hall, room 103: The Center for Faculty Excellence is hosting a “celebration” of Southeastern’s international faculty members, who have been invited to bring a cultural item or dish to share. A panel of international faculty will also offer advice for international students and faculty on adjusting to a new home.
▪ Nov. 18 and 19, 11 a.m.-1 p.m., Student Union mall: Southeastern’s Office of International Initiatives, which organizes and administers the university’s study abroad programs, will provide information about the 16 study abroad opportunities planned for spring break and summer 2009 as well details on available scholarships and deadlines.
▪ Nov. 19, 11 a.m.-1 p.m., Student Union Mall: MISA and Lyceum Arts and Lectures will host a performance by “Aradia and the RA Dancers,” a traveling troupe of professional belly dancers.
▪ Nov. 21, 7 p.m., Baptist Collegiate Ministry, 501 W. Dakota St.: The International Student Ministry will sponsor “Taste of the World Cultural Cuisine.” All international students, faculty and staff are encouraged to bring a favorite cultural dish.
▪ Nov. 22: MISA will sponsor an international student social and educational trip to the Mississippi Museum of Natural Science in Jackson, Miss.
For more information about International Education Week and events, contact the Office of Multicultural and International Student Affairs at (985) 549-3850.