Livingston Literacy and Technology Center offers Fall Non-credit courses
Contact: Tonya Lowentritt
HAMMOND – Financial management for kids and parents, digital photography, Microsoft computer basics, and oil painting for beginners are just some of the topics of non-credit courses being offered this fall at the Livingston Parish Literacy and Technology Center in Walker.
“We’re pleased to offer our area a wide range of educational opportunities,” said Brad Borland, assistant director of Southeastern Louisiana University programs at the center. “Our non-credit courses provide diverse offerings in leisure and workforce/professional development.”
The center, a joint project of Southeastern and the Livingston Parish School Board, is located at 9261 Florida Blvd.
Fall 2009 community education courses include:
▪ Digital Photography Basics, Mondays, Oct. 26-Nov. 16, 6-8 p.m. Students will learn how digital cameras work by understanding file formats, exposure, program modes, aperture, shutter speeds, lighting, and great shooting techniques. Students should bring their own camera to class. The cost is $60.
▪ How Money Works-Secrets to Financial Success, Thursday, Oct. 8, 6-8 p.m. The free class will explore concepts such as pay yourself first, theory of decreasing responsibility, debt elimination and taking control of your finances and provide important tips during tough economic times. A course workbook will be provided.
▪ Introduction to the Internet, Thursday, Oct. 15, 9 a.m.- noon. Participants will learn how to browse the Web using Internet Explorer 7.0, acquire information from the Web, communicate with other users, and configure security and privacy settings in Internet Explorer 7.0. The cost is $75, and a book is provided.
▪ Introduction to PC/Windows, Tuesday, Oct. 6, 9 a.m.- noon. Participants will learn to identify the basic components and capabilities of personal computers, explore Windows Vista, use common tools and programs, manage folders and files, customize the Windows Vista desktop and browse the Internet using Internet Explorer 7.0 The cost is $75, and a book is provided.
▪ Oil Painting for Beginners, two sessions, Tuesdays, Oct. 6-27, 9-11 a.m., or Mondays, Oct. 12-Nov.2, 6:30-8:30 p.m The course is designed for the beginner adult student with limited oil painting experience. Students will learn basic design principles of composition, while planning and developing individual oil paintings from photographs. The cost of the course is $100, plus art materials.
▪ Take Control of Your Finances, Career and Family, Thursdays, Oct. 15-22, 6:30-8:30 p.m. The course teaches students to take control of their lives by setting goals in three crucial areas: personal finance, career and family. Cost is $25, plus a journal.
Classes on Microsoft Word and Excel, at the beginner, intermediate and advanced levels; Microsoft PowerPoint, beginner and intermediate; and Microsoft Publisher, beginner are also offered. Complete dates, times, costs and course descriptions are available in the Extended Studies catalog. For an electronic copy of the catalog, send an email request to email@example.com or call 1-800-256-2771.
For more information about extended studies courses or teaching opportunities, contact Borland at the Livingston Literacy and Technology Center at (225) 665-3303 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.