Southeastern announces Homecoming contest winners
Contact: Tonya Lowentritt
Click on thumbnail for high resolution photo
1) CREATIVE KIDS – The unranked winners of Southeastern Louisiana University’s Homecoming coloring contest with Southeastern mascot Roomie the Lion are, from left, Edrialle Jackson, Branson Catalanotto, Sky Slaven and Natalie Prevost.
2) CREATIVE TAILGATING – Enthusiastic Lion fans flooded Friendship Circle with decorative tailgating on Southeastern Louisiana University’s Homecoming Day to show support and cheer on their team. The combined efforts of the Wiginton, Chandler and Hollimon families won the Sweepstakes Award in the Homecoming Tailgating Contest. Pictured from left are Grant Chandler, Marion Ruth Chandler, Marion Chandler, Sonny Chandler, Shirley and Louis Wiginton.
HAMMOND – Southeastern Louisiana University has announced the winners of its Homecoming 2010 contests, held to let the campus and community show off its Lion Pride during Homecoming Week, Oct. 18-23.
Faculty, staff, students, tailgaters from the campus and community, downtown businesses and area school children all participated in a variety of contests challenging them to use their creative skills in decorating doors, tailgating spaces and more – all in honor of the Homecoming theme “Roomie to the Rescue.”
Members of the Southeastern community also put their brain power to work in the annual Phi Kappa Phi Homecoming Quiz Bowl.
Here are the Homecoming contest results:
Phi Kappa Phi Homecoming Quiz Bowl
Overall winner – The “Sigmatizers,” a faculty team of Dustin Cotton, Sherri Craig, George Dorrill, and Rebecca Murry, all from the Department of English, bested the winning student team from Gamma Beta Phi. Representing Gamma Beta Phi were criminal justice major Tim Reling of Slidell, kinesiology major Kragen Lewis of Natchitoches, communication sciences and disorders major Shantel Crain of Roxie, Miss., political science major Andreanna Jones of Terry, Miss., and accounting major Sharon Johnson of Baton Rouge. Four student teams and four faculty teams competed.
Kids Coloring Contest
▪ Five un-ranked winners were chosen this year. Branson Catalanotto, second grade, Harvest Christian Academy; Edrialle Jackson, Kindergarten, Woodland Park Early Learning Center; Natalie Prevost, fourth grade, Loranger Elementary; Joshua Roberts, first grade, Harvest Christian Academy; and Sky Slaven, fourth grade, Loranger Elementary.
Campus Door Decorating Contest – First place, Division of Extended Studies; second place, Administration and Finance; and third place, Public Information Office.
Downtown Decorating Contest – Lee’s Drive-In, decorated by Alpha Omicron Pi and Kappa Sigma, first place; Louisiana Children’s Discovery Center, decorated by Delta Sigma Theta, Phi Mu and Theta Xi, second place; Step by Step, decorated by Sigma Sigma Sigma and Kappa Alpha, third place.
Homecoming Day Tailgate Decorating Contest
▪ Sweepstakes Winners – Louis and Shirley Wiginton and fellow supporters Sonny and Marion Ruth Chandler and Jerry and Lynda Hollimon.
▪ Most Creative Tailgate – Alpha Omicron Pi sorority.