Courses evaluated by Southeastern for transfer credit from regionally accredited institutions will carry the grade earned at the institution where the courses were taken if the grading system used is comparable to Southeastern's grading system. However, credits earned at foreign colleges and universities will carry the grade of "P." Technical and vocational credits are not accepted, nor is credit accepted for varsity sports. Transfer students should become familiar with sections of this catalog concerning the grading system, course repeat policy, and other academic regulations. The extent to which any transfer courses may be applied toward a degree at Southeastern is determined by the Academic Dean and Department Head.

A transfer student may complete requirements for graduation in the Southeastern catalog in effect at the time of enrollment as a freshman in a regionally accredited institution of higher education or any Southeastern catalog within seven years of that date, unless the student elects to change to another curriculum, or there is a break of one calendar year or more in attendance at Southeastern. If there is a break of one calendar year or more in attendance, the student is subject to the catalog in effect when re-entering, or any in effect for seven years thereafter. Students who change their curriculum will be subject to the catalog in effect when change of major occurs, or any catalog in effect for seven years thereafter.

Students who wish to transfer credits to Southeastern which were earned in a nontraditional manner, i.e., CLEP Subject or General Examinations, Advanced Placement, IB Credits, or Departmental Examinations, will have these evaluated by the Office of Testing and the Office of the Registrar. Credit will be granted for Departmental Examinations and CLEP Examinations if the course(s) are listed on the student's official transcript with a passing grade or the equivalent, and are within the policies for credit at Southeastern Louisiana University.

Advanced placement credit will be given in areas in which Southeastern normally grants such credit as shown elsewhere in this catalog. Indication of the advanced placement credit must appear on the student's official transcript.

Credit is given at Southeastern for CLEP General Mathematics Examination. Transfer students with CLEP General credit, other than mathematics, on their transcript are encouraged to take the CLEP Subject Examinations or Departmental Examinations, which the University accepts for credit.
Transfer students who have questions concerning their transfer evaluation may request a review of the evaluation by their academic dean, their department head, the Director of Admissions, and/or the head(s) of the department in which the course(s) are offered at Southeastern. Requests must be made in writing to the Director of Admissions and must list the specific course(s) in question. The student may be required to furnish course descriptions and may be required to appear before the appropriate college or department personnel.

In order to facilitate a more efficient transfer of courses among public colleges and universities, the Louisiana Board of Regents has established a Master Course Articulation Matrix. This matrix indicates transfer equivalences of courses among Louisiana's public college and universities, and may be accessed through the Board of Regents' webpage at: https://regents.la.gov/divisions/planning-research-and-academic-affairs/academic-affairs/louisiana-transfer-degree-lt/. It remains, however, the prerogative of the receiving institution as to whether a course will count toward a particular major, whether a particular grade is required, or whether the course will satisfy general education requirements. Students should therefore always contact Southeastern prior to transferring courses.

Questions concerning transfer credits should be referred to the Director of Admissions, SLU 10752, Hammond, LA 70402.


Acceptance of Credit Earned at a Non-Regionally Accredited Institution

In evaluating credits earned at a non-regionally accredited institution of higher learning, Southeastern considers the transfer acceptance practices of a major university or state educational agency within the state where the institution is located. Transfer Credit Practices of Designated Educational Institutions (American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers) is used as a guide for this purpose.


Community or Junior College Transfer Credits

All academic hours earned at a community or junior college will be posted on the Southeastern transcript upon the student's transfer. However, applicability of transfer credit to the student’s Southeastern degree program is determined by the academic departments and colleges. No credit earned at a community or junior college may be used for credit at the 300 or 400 course level.


Concurrent Registration

Any Southeastern student who wishes to take courses at another college or university should obtain prior approval (Course Elsewhere Form) from the dean and department head of the student's major to ensure transferability and degree credit. Work taken concurrently will independently be subject to the same regulations as transfer work, and must meet the minimum scholastic requirements as set forth for Southeastern students elsewhere in this catalog. It will be at the discretion of the dean/department head to determine if a course not previously approved may be used toward degree credit.

The Office of Admissions will prepare Course-Elsewhere Approval Forms and, to the extent possible, cross reference numbers for the courses the student desires to take at another college/university and have transferred back to Southeastern. These forms must be signed by the student’s dean and department head and returned to the Office of Admissions.



Southeastern has entered into cross-enrollment agreements with the following institutions: Baton Rouge Community College, Delgado Community College, Northshore Technical Community College, Nunez Community College, River Parishes Community College, Louisiana State University (Army and Air Force ROTC courses only), Southern University at Baton Rouge (regular courses as well as Navy and Marine ROTC), and Southern University of New Orleans.

Southeastern students may enroll in courses at the host institution if the courses are not offered at the home institution during the cross-enrollment semester. Southeastern students may take one course for each course taken at Southeastern, with a maximum of two courses per semester.

To cross-enroll, a Southeastern student must obtain a Cross-Enrollment Form from the Office of Admissions, work with an admissions counselor to complete the form, and then take it to the student's department head and academic dean of the student's major for approval signatures. The student should return the form to the Office of Admissions to process the request. The Cross-Enrollment Form is signed by the Director of Admissions at Southeastern and then forwarded to the host institution to complete the enrollment process. The student is registered for the course(s), and the tuition/fees for the cross-enrolled course(s) are added to the Southeastern fee statement. Any special fees (book fees, lab fees, etc.) associated with the cross-enrolled courses will also be assessed.

The Admissions Office will forward the approved form to the host institution to complete the enrollment process.

To withdraw from cross-enrolled classes, Southeastern students must follow the withdrawal procedures at the host institution. The host institution will notify Southeastern of the withdrawal and Southeastern will process the withdrawal. The withdrawal deadlines of the host institution will apply. The fee payment deadlines and refund policy of the home institution (Southeastern) will be honored. All withdrawals will be processed based on the withdrawal date provided by the host institution.


Guest Students

Students who are pursuing a degree at another institution but would like to take courses at Southeastern for one semester may be admitted as "guest students," provided they are in good standing at their "home" institution. A letter of good standing from the home institution will be required in lieu of academic transcripts. In cases of courses require prerequisites, transcripts may be required. Guest students are not eligible for Federal (Title IV) financial aid.


Readmission of Former Students

Students who have not been enrolled at Southeastern for the twelve (12) months prior to the term for which admission is sought, and students who wish to return after earning a degree at Southeastern, must file an application for readmission. Students on suspended status must also file an application for readmission if they are returning after the required suspension period. However, students under suspension are not required to file an application for readmission if they are returning to attend a summer semester that falls within their suspension period. In addition to filing the application for readmission, former students must also have sent directly to the Admissions Office any credits they earned since last enrolled at Southeastern (if hand carried, must be in an officially sealed envelope from the issuing institution). Students must be eligible to return to the school previously attended in order to readmit to Southeastern. A non-refundable application fee is required of all students who apply for readmission to the University. An additional late fee is charged if the application is received after the established deadline.

Applicants for readmission who file early may be entitled to early register for the next semester.