Jeffrey Wright, Department Head


Bachelor of Music Degree

The Bachelor of Music degree is a professional degree for students desiring to specialize in music. The course of study may be taken in preparation for a career in performance, music education composition, private applied studio instruction, church music or as background leading to graduate study. Students entering this program should possess exceptional talent, the potential to develop high-level musicianship, artistic sensibilities, and a strong sense of commitment. Only students who are prepared to make a disciplined effort that must become a way of life beyond the degree years should enter the program. An audition in the student's primary performance medium (trumpet, piano, voice, etc.) is required for admission to the B.M. degree program.


Music Education

The Bachelor of Music with a Concentration in Vocal Music Education, and the Bachelor of Music with a Concentration in Instrumental Music Education degree meet state teacher certification requirements for grades K-12. The degree is designed for students preparing to become professional music educators.


Recitals and Concerts

Attendance at recitals, concerts, and music theatre productions is required for all music majors. Each student is required to accommodate attendance expectations when formulating their academic and personal schedule.


Ensemble Experience Requirements

Students in the Bachelor of Music or the Master of Music curriculum will be required to study at least one instrument in their primary performing medium and enroll in the appropriate applied instrument course throughout their program of study, except in the semester of full-time student teaching. Students are required to register each semester of full-time residence for specific major ensembles most closely related to their primary instrument(s). The choice of which instrumental or vocal ensemble will be made by the performance area directors. Pianists and guitarists can satisfy this requirement by selecting either a vocal or instrumental ensemble. Guitarists may also satisfy the requirement by performance in MUS 145/445 (Chamber Ensemble). Students must arrange personal and work schedules to avoid conflicts with ensemble commitments.


Upper-Division Performance Exam

All students majoring in music at the undergraduate level must pass an upper division qualifying performance exam. Successful completion of this exam will allow the student to enroll in 400 level applied music courses. The student will be expected to display technical proficiency and artistic maturity through repertoire approved by all faculty in each applied area (Keyboard, Instrumental, and Vocal).

The upper division performance exam should be taken at the end of the student's fourth semester of applied study at the 100 level. If the student does not pass the exam on the first attempt, he or she will be granted a probation period of no more than two semesters of required applied study to retake the exam. At the end of the probation, if the student has not passed the exam, he or she will not be allowed to continue as a music major.


Minor in Music

Students majoring in areas other than music and who possess sufficient aptitude and preparation may acquire a minor in music by completing twenty-four semester hours drawn from the areas of history, literature, theory and performance as follows: MUS 111/112 Music Theory are required, the remaining 18 credits to be selected from MUS 291 Fundamentals of Music, MUS 152 Introduction to Music Literature, MUS 354/355 Music History, and/or class piano, class voice, applied music, ensembles, or other appropriate courses as approved by the Head of the Department of Music and Performing Arts (MUS 151 Introduction to Music may not be applied to the minor in music).


Music Therapy

Students considering a career in Music Therapy should acquire a Bachelors of Music degree with a Concentration in Music Education, with additional courses in psychology and special education; consult the Department Head for special course recommendations.


Honors Diploma in the Discipline

For information on earning Sophomore Honors Distinction, Senior Honors Distinction, or the Honors Diploma, please consult The University Honors Program section of this catalog, the Director of the Honors Program, and/or your Department Head. 



Students who are interested in majoring in dance should major in General Studies with a concentration in dance.


Minor in Dance

Students may elect to minor in Dance by completing eighteen hours of dance as specified below:

DNC 100 and 372 and 373   9 hours
DNC 301 or 350 or 460  3 hours
DNC 108, 130, 230, 306, 307, 330 4 hours
DNC 300   2 hours
TOTAL: 18 hours