How Do I Calculate My GPA?
GPA (Grade Point Average) is calculated at Southeastern by the total number of hours attempted.
Quality Points / Hours Attempted = GPA
(See below for further explanation of quality points and hours attempted.)
Some important things to remember while viewing your unofficial transcript in LEONet:
- The first column on your transcript contains a Course Listing for the term.
- The second column contains the number of course Hours Attempted.
- The third column contains the number of course Hours Earned.
- The last column on the right contains Quality Points.
Your Cumulative GPA should be correct on your unofficial transcript.
However, your cumulative Hours Attempted may not be correct for the number of hours for calculating your GPA. LEONet includes Pass/Fail option courses (P/U). Audit courses (AU) and Withdrawn (W) courses in the cumulative total of hours attempted, although it does eliminate these courses when calculating cumulative GPA.
If you wish to know your cumulative Hours Attempted for calculating your GPA, subtract the total number of hours or any (P/U) courses, (AU) courses, and (W) courses from the cumulative total of Hours Attempted indicated at the bottom of your transcript.
Quality Points are determined by the weight of the course times the weight of the grade. “P” and “U” grades are not weighted.
Credit Hours x Grade Points = Quality Points
Remember, Grade Points are:
A=4, B=3, C=2, D=1, F=0
Examples of this could be:
- KINL 112 is a 1 credit hour course.
An “A” in this course would equal 4 quality points (1x4=4).
- COMM 211 is a 3 credit hour course.
A “B” in this course would be equal to 9 quality points (3x3=9).
- ZOO 241 is a 4 credit hour course.
- A “C” in this course would be equal to 8 quality points (4x2=8).
- MATH 161 is a 3 credit hour course.
- An “F” in this course would be equal to 0 quality points (0x3=0).
- DVEN 90 is a 5 credit hour course.
- A “P” in this course would not earn any quality points because courses with a “P” or “U” grade are not included in calculating GPA.
This student earned a total of 21 Quality Points.
|Course Listing||Quality Points|
|KINL 112||4 quality points|
|COMM 211||9 quality points|
|ZOO 241||8 quality points|
|MATH 161||0 quality points|
|DVEN 90||does not earn quality points|
|Total||21 quality points|
Hours Attempted are the total number of credit hours you attempted to complete. Hours attempted do not include classes with “P” or “U” grades, “AU” (audit) classes, or “W” (withdrawn) classes.
The student in the example below attempted a total of 11 credit hours:
|Course Listing||Credit Hours Attempted|
|KINL 112||1 credit hour|
|COMM 211||3 credit hours|
|ZOO 241||4 credit hours|
|MATH 161||3 credit hours|
|DVEN 90||hours not included|
|Total||11 credit hours|
Thus, the GPA for this student would be:
21 Quality Points / 11 Hours Attempted = 1.91 GPA
If you feel there is some error in the calculation of your GPA, please contact Office of the Registrar at (985) 549-2066 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include your name, phone number, and University ID (“W” number) in your e-mail.