uniformed service mobilization

Effective date:
Southeastern Green Seal


Purpose of Policy

The Louisiana public higher education community recognizes that many of its students serve our country in the reserve forces of the U.S. Armed Services and in the Louisiana National Guard, and that these students are subject to unforeseen mobilization/activation in response to local, regional, national, or international emergency situations. Obviously, such emergency mobilization/activation will seriously disrupt these students' academic careers. It is the policy of Louisiana public higher education to minimize the effects of this disruption as much as possible.

In order to qualify under the provisions of this policy, students must present to the registrar a copy of military orders indicating their mobilization or activation. Students should contact the office of the dean of their college as soon as they are notified of the call up. The dean’s office will inform them of the procedures to be followed. If, due to time constraints between the time of notification and the time of actual mobilization or activation, the students cannot present their orders as required, the parents, guardians, or spouse of the student may do so.


Policy Procedure

  1. Awarding of Academic Credit / Grades
    1. Students in the uniformed services who are mobilized/activated during a semester or term will be given the option of either: (1) complete withdrawal from the university for the semester; or (2) withdrawal from or continuation in individual courses within the university upon a determination that institution guidelines are met and that it is educationally sound to allow such continuation. Students who choose to remain enrolled in some or all courses should be provided reasonable support to ensure that the pursuit of education is disrupted to the minimum extent possible and that no undue penalties are assessed due to a military call to service.
    2. Course Withdrawals. When mobilization/activation occurs prior to the university census date, mobilized students who withdraw will incur no penalty or grade in any course. Those who withdraw from all courses will be given a complete withdrawal from the university (with 100 percent refund of tuition and fees which have been paid, including student insurance and other non-refundable fees). After the census date, mobilized students who withdraw from a course shall receive a grade of “W” in the course and 100 percent refund of course-related tuition and fees which have been paid, excluding student insurance fees and other non-refundable fees. The student’s transcript will be annotated to reflect that the resignation is the result of activation for military duty. Room and board payments will be refunded on a prorated basis, regardless of the date of involuntary mobilization/activation.
    3. Continued Enrollment After Involuntary Mobilization/Activation. Students may choose to remain enrolled in individual courses upon a determination that it is educationally sound to allow such continuation and with the concurrence of the instructor and/or dean, as required by university guidelines. For courses in which enrollment is continued, the following should be documented by the instructor and/or dean: (a) provisions for a grade of incomplete; (b) provisions for a final grade based upon course work prior to the date of mobilization; or (c) an early final examination in order that the instructor can determine a final course grade. Those students who receive incomplete grades shall have no longer than one year after conclusion of the involuntary term of active duty to meet with the instructor and/or dean and work out a timetable for removing the incomplete grades.
  1. Academic Status Upon Re-Enrollment. When students whose enrollment was interrupted by mobilization/activation re-enroll within one year of completion of their involuntary term of active service, the university will make every possible effort to place the students back into their academic studies track as close as possible to the same place they occupied when mobilized/activated. The normal readmission application fee will be waived for these students.
    1. Reasonable attempts will be made to give preferential enrollment into high demand courses necessary for these students to continue their studies with as little interruption as possible.
    2. Time spent on active duty may not be counted in determining the Catalog under which the student must meet curricular or degree requirements; involuntary mobilization/activation will not be considered a break in continuous attendance, for Catalog purposes. A person who, upon being offered separation from involuntary active duty, reenlists or otherwise voluntarily extends active duty, may be considered to have broken continuous attendance.
    3. In instances of substantial change to curricula or course inventory during the period of involuntary military service, the institution may make reasonable accommodations with substitute courses, independent study or other appropriate means. If a student’s curriculum no longer exists at the time of re-enrollment, the institution shall reasonably assist the student in changing to a new curriculum or transferring to an institution where the desired curriculum is available.
  1. Scholarships. A student who is mobilized/activated while holding a scholarship under the control of the university shall have the scholarship, or an equivalent scholarship, reinstated upon re-enrolling at the university after the period of involuntary active duty so long as he/she remains otherwise eligible. This provision shall lapse if the student does not re-enroll in the university within one year from the time of separation from the involuntary active duty.
  1. Books. All rental textbooks should be returned prior to leaving campus unless the student remains enrolled in courses.
  1. Student Grants and Loans. Students who have been awarded grants or loans and are mobilized/activated at any time during the semester are advised to consult with the Financial Aid Office in order to obtain clarification and/or further information on the status or repayment requirements of any existing grants and loans for attending the university. Students on any State aid (e.g., TOPS, GO) are urged to contact the Louisiana Office of Student Financial Assistance before leaving the campus (https://www.osfa.la.gov/).



Louisiana Board of Regents Academic Affairs Policy 2.21, Uniformed Service Mobilization: https://regents.la.gov/assets/docs/PRAA/Academic_Affairs/AA.-2-21-2013-0815.pdf.