Overview and Mission Statement
For more than a decade, the Southeastern Community Music School at Southeastern Louisiana University has proudly and effectively provided the entire Northshore region with a vital community-based program of music education. Located within the Pottle Music Building on Friendship Circle, the students of the CMS enjoy the same advantages of Southeastern's own music students.
The goals of the Southeastern Community Music School are as follows:
- to offer private instrumental and vocal instruction, introductory and supplemental music classes and ensembles, and public performance opportunities for students, thus partially offsetting the shortage of music education in the public schools
- to foster individual advancement of music skills, knowledge, and appreciation
- provide a foundation for many types of music expression while preserving the traditions of classical music training and performance
- provide high school students with an especially serious interest in their music studies the opportunity to study with selected Southeastern music faculty, thus increasing their chances of becoming scholarship music students at Southeastern Louisiana University
- to offer practical teaching experience for Southeastern's own music students.
These goals are made possible by an instructional roster of highly qualified student teachers, professional musicians, and Southeastern's own expert music faculty. The CMS also offers a comprehensive curricula, from elementary through advanced levels, which build competencies according to individual goals. We also offer a well-equipped facility that includes individual teaching studios, classrooms, rehearsal spaces, two spacious performance auditoriums. Of particular importance, the Southeastern Community Music School has become a truly regional venture, with satellite programs in St. Tammany Parish (St. Tammany Parish Administrative Complex) and Livingston Parish (Livingston Literacy and Technology Center). We are now more prepared than ever to provide excellence in music education, training, and experiences for people of all ages and levels of ability, no matter where they reside from Slidell to Baton Rouge!