Southeastern Louisiana University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award associate, baccalaureate, masters and doctoral degrees. Southeastern Louisiana University also may offer credentials such as certificates and diplomas at approved degree levels. Questions about the accreditation of Southeastern Louisiana University may be directed in writing to the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097, by calling (404) 679-4500, or by using information available on SACSCOC's website (www.sacscoc.org).
SACSCOC accreditation affirms the university dedicates sufficient resources, programs and services to accomplish our mission and entitles the university to receive federal funds, including research grants, scholarships and loans.
For accreditation purposes, Southeastern is a Level V institution and as such is accredited to award doctoral degrees in three or fewer academic or professional disciplines.
In addition to institutional accreditation, a number of degree programs in specialized fields or disciplines also have accrediting bodies. Listed below are the accrediting agencies and the Southeastern degree programs with specialized accreditation.
- Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology
- B.S. in Computer Science (accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org)
- B.S. in Engineering Technology (accredited by the Engineering Technology Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org)
- B.S. in Information Technology (accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org)
- B.S. in Occupational Safety, Health, and Environment (accredited by the Applied and Natural Science Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org)
- American Association of Family and Consumer Science
- B.S. in Human Sciences
- American Chemical Society
- B.S. in Chemistry
- Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business
- B.S. in Accounting
- B.B.A. in Business Administration
- B.S. in Finance
- B.A. in Marketing
- B.A. in Management
- B.S. in Supply Chain Management
- M.B.A. in Business Administration
- Association of Technology, Management, and Applied Engineering
- A.A.S. and B.S. in Industrial Technology
- Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education
- B.S. in Athletic Training
- Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
The baccalaureate degree program in nursing and the Doctor of Nursing Practice program at Southeastern Louisiana University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.ccneaccreditation.org). The master's degree program in nursing at Intercollegiate Consortium for a Master of Science in Nursing (Consortium of McNeese State University, Nicholls State University, Southeastern Louisiana University, and University of Louisiana at Lafayette) is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, 655 K Street, NW, Suite 750, Washington, DC 20001,202-887-6791.
- BSN in Nursing
- MSN in Nursing
- DNP in Nursing
- Commission on Sport Management Accreditation
- BS in Sport Management
- Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs
- M.S. in Counseling
- Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology
- M.S. in Communication Sciences & Disorders
- Council on Social Work Education
- B.A. in Social Work
- National Association of Schools of Art and Design 11250 Roger Bacon Drive, Suite 21;Reston, VA 20190-5248; (703) 437-0700
- B.A. in Art
- National Association of Schools of Music 11250 Roger Bacon Drive, Suite 21; Reston, VA 20190-5248; (703) 437-0700
- B.M. and M.Mus. in Music
- Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation 1140 19th St NW, Suite 400; Washington, DC 20036; (202) 223-0077
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction
- M.Ed. in Educational Leadership
- M.Ed. in Special Education
- MAT in Multiple Levels (Birth-K, 1-5, 4-8, 6-12, K-12)
- B.S. in Early Childhood Education, Grades PK-3
- B.S. in Middle School Education, Grades 4-8
- B.S. in Elementary Education, Grades 1-5
- B.A. in English Education, Grades 6-12
- B.A. in Social Studies Education, Grades 6-12
- B.S. in Health & Physical Education, Grades K-12
- B.S. in Elementary Education & Special Education
- B.S. in Middle School Education & Special Education
As per Southeastern’s Policy on Representation of Southeastern to Accrediting Agencies and Notification of Accreditation Status Change, the Common University Description below should be used, as applicable, when describing the University’s role, scope, and/or mission to the U.S. Department of Education and to all accrediting agencies to ensure accuracy and consistency.
The use of the Common University Description ensures compliance with the SACSCOC policy, Accrediting Decisions of Other Agencies, which states:
Any institution seeking or holding accreditation from more than one USDOE recognized institutional accrediting agency must describe itself in identical terms to each agency with regard to purpose, governance, programs, degrees, diplomas, certificates, personnel, finances, and constituents, and must keep each USDOE recognized accrediting body, including SACSCOC, apprised of any change in its status with one or another accrediting agency.
Common University Description
Southeastern Louisiana University is a public, regional institution and one of nine separate universities under the supervision and management of the Board of Supervisors for the University of Louisiana System (ULS). The ULS is one of four public higher education systems coordinated by the Louisiana Board of Regents.
The mission of Southeastern Louisiana University is to lead the educational, economic, and cultural development of southeast Louisiana. Located in Hammond, Louisiana, Southeastern Louisiana University is situated in the heart of the southeast region of the state, attracting students from throughout the region.
Southeastern’s core values of Excellence and Caring reflect who we are and what you can expect from us. We continually strive for the highest level of achievement; overcoming challenges with reflection, improvement, innovation and reinvention. We serve the needs of others with respect, understanding and compassion; affirming the differences among individuals, values and ideas.
Southeastern engages a diverse population of undergraduate and graduate students with powerful experiences, including relevant curricula emphasizing scholarship and innovative, engaging pedagogy. The University provides programs, services, resources, and infrastructure that maximize student success, supported by well-qualified faculty and staff.
Southeastern offers approximately 65 degree programs, with the majority being baccalaureate programs. Southeastern offers one associate degree program, over 40 baccalaureate degree programs, approximately 20 master’s degree programs and two doctoral programs. Southeastern also offers several undergraduate and graduate certificate programs.
Southeastern Louisiana University has a selective admission process. Completion of a High School Curriculum and the cumulative GPA are considerations in admission decisions for first-time first-year students. Admission policies differ depending upon student admit type. For example, beginning freshmen from Louisiana have slightly different admission requirements than transfer students. Graduate program admission criteria vary by program.
Southeastern enrolls over 13,000 students. While most students are from southeast Louisiana (approximately 90%), Southeastern has students from over 40 states and approximately 60 nations. The majority (61%) of the undergraduate students are White, non-Hispanic; approximately 18% are Black or African-American. Over 60% of the undergraduate students are female. During the 2021-2022 academic year, Southeastern conferred 2,186 credentials (8 associate degrees, 1,865 baccalaureate degrees, 285 master’s degrees, 16 doctoral degrees, 10 Post Masters Certificates, and 2 Undergraduate Certificates).
Southeastern Louisiana University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award associate, baccalaureate, master and doctoral degrees. Southeastern is categorized as a SREB Four-Year 3 institution, as a Carnegie Master’s College and University I, and a SACSCOC Level V (i.e., awards 3 or fewer doctorate degrees) institution.
Referencing Southeastern’s Accreditation Status
SACSCOC requires the use of the following statement (verbatim) when referencing the university’s accreditation status:
Southeastern Louisiana University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award associate, baccalaureate, masters and doctoral degrees. Degree-granting institutions also may offer credentials such as certificates and diplomas at approved degree levels. Questions about the accreditation of Southeastern Louisiana University may be directed in writing to the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097, by calling (404) 679-4500, or by using information available on SACSCOC's website (www.sacscoc.org).