Elementary Education, Grades 1-5
Southeastern's Master of Arts in Teaching, Elementary Education, Grades 1-5 program
is an alternative program leading to Louisiana teaching certification in grades 1
through 5. A strong emphasis is placed on relevant field experiences throughout the
program. Students gain the knowledge, skills and dispositions needed to have a positive
impact on student achievement in grades 1 through 5.
Required Semester Hours 39
- Total semester hours required: 39
- Two-semester student teaching residency or internship can be done along with coursework.
- Applicants must pass the State Department of Education Required Praxis content exams
prior to enrollment. See requirements on the ETS PAXIS website.
- Praxis Principles of Learning and Teaching (PLT) exams are taken during the program
and required for graduation.
- Successfully complete portfolio submissions during the program
What Can You Be
Types of Jobs
- Elementary School Teacher, Grades 1-5
Types of Employers
- Parochial school systems
- Private school systems
- Public school systems
Student Orgs & Activities
Southeastern Education Association for Students
Student Council for Exceptional Children
Susan Zimlich, Graduate Coordinator
Cate Teacher Education Center, Room 2018K
Hammond, LA 70402